Aurora 60

Thanks Jack

The model in the back is just covered in polythene - it is still WIP. I am starting to cover wings in bubble wrap to try and keep them clean and protect them. Other fuselages are a bit of a pain to be honest. They just stand on the floor nose down and get covered in dust. Not ideal but I have a cunning plan..

I am going to clear and area under the bench and try and protect the fuselages stored behind with a polythene curtain.

I don't want to use the garage as I am a bit worried about dripping nitro onto the motorbikes..

Tricky one..

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a long 2 weeks. I was just finishing off the fuel proofing last week - the outlet area for the tuned pipe - I was holding the fus about 12 " in front of the fin, the nose resting on a stool and the model slipped. Although I managed to stop the front hitting the carpet and foam underlay too hard...

cracked.jpg

To say I was totally gutted would be a massive understatement.. crying

The crack was along an obvious weak point - the top of the ply doubler, but it still shouldn't have failed that easily. A fairly simple repair but totally unnecessary. The repair was simple - glue inside the crack and clamped up followed by glass bandage inside of the fuselage to transfer the load better into the balsa. The repair isn't brilliant.. just don't look too closely.

Moving on - here are some more photos:

dscn2870.jpg

Tuned pipe in place and located by a strap and self tapper into the F/G wing bandage. I'll probably change that shortly but struggling to think of a better way of doing this. There is not enough space for a Terry Clip or similar

dscn2871.jpg

Engine in place. One mistake I made or didnt allow for was that I had carefully fitted the cowl then glassed the Fuselage. This added a little extra thickness and rounding which totally mucked up the fit I had worked so hard to get. Live and learn

dscn2875.jpg

With the lower cowl in place. Single peg at the rear and an M4 bolt at the front screwed into a star nut riveted to a removable aluminium strap traversing the air inlet below the spinner.

dscn2873.jpg

The exhaust outlet

dscn2872.jpg

Tailplane. Two servos drive the elevators independently. This gives me the opportunity to mix elevator trim with Aileron -- so I can have one elevator going up and the other down in harmony with Ailerons - if I am feeling really brave/stupid.

dscn2874.jpg

The main undercarriage is a standard fixed 8G bent thing..

dscn2876.jpg

And this is what it looks like in all its glory..

dscn2880.jpg

and

dscn2878.jpg

Cylinder head protruding below the cowling

dscn2877.jpg

The canopy cost 6USD and cost 8USD postage from the USA. Unusually for me I even have a pilot.

dscn2881.jpg

And underneath a contrasting scheme.

AUW - the plan suggested 4.5kg.. This came in at 3.28kg. Savings in weight due to fixed undercarriage and careful selection of wood.

The reality is that the wood skinning the wings is too light. The wing and tail were covered in Solartex with Solartex coloured panels and black pin stripe from Halfords

The Fuselage was glassed, primed and painted. The fuel proofer was a 2 pack painted on (I am not allowed to spray 2 pack any more) from Deluxe

All charged up, rates have been set, may get maidened this weekend if the strip is usable

That's about it

Martyn

• 1 month later...

I maidened the Aurora on Friday Evening - also flew Magic and the Kwik Fli - no-one at the strip so no photos apart from this:

Brilliant fun. Has a few problems with the engine - so 3 flights and 3 dead stick landings.

First impressions - its very fast and also very slightly under elevated. An inverted 45 needed almost no 'down' to keep it tracking straight

Looks superb in the air, rolls very linearly, tracks well but if its not straight you will be in the next county before you straighten it up again.

Bunts, spins stall turns, loops - all as expected for a model of this calibre. If it keeps together I can see that this will be a favourite. I think I have overdone the build in some lightness bit..

Landings (even dead stick) were at the wrong end of stupid fast. I could hear it whistling on approach (and I am deaf) but I managed to touchdown on all 3 occasions on the strip The next bounce was in the next field though (Just kidding - Not really that bad)

Just need to sort out the engine. I spoke to Steve Dunning about this on Saturday - and as I was also having problems with the Webra in the Magic we decided that the fuel may be a bit dodgy. Next flight will have a new batch of fuel to play with.

Great fun laugh and very happy with it so far

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 09/05/2016 10:49:03

Lets Hope it passes the noise test - that's my worry with this one. Peaking at 10200 on a 12x9 prop with a distinctive crackle from the pipe.. I'll not get chance for another test flight before Sunday unfortunately

Fingers crossed

Martyn

I had a couple more flights with the Aurora at the UKCAA Watford event yesterday. Greg Butterworth was on hand with Camera and kindly provided these:

flying1.jpg

and

flying2.jpg

and

flying3.jpg

and

flying4.jpg

and

flying5.jpg

and

flying7-minty.jpg

Chief Pit-Man Minty saying we are good to go.

flying6- minty.jpg

The engine problems turned out to be a leaky glow plug - amazing how well an engine runs when its not losing compression.

Its still quite fast and I am still trimming it. It uses a lot of sky... Its great fun to fly, probably the best performer I have built yet.

Martyn