Aluminium Leaf

Dave Hopkin

I was wondering if anyone had attempted to use Aluminium Gliding Leaf to replicate Aluminium

I traced a supplier and am exchanging emails with them to find out what he thinks I might need

**LINK**

If it works it would seem to me to be an excelent way of replicating bare aluminium on complex curves

Anyone any ideas/experience in this?

Advert

Well in Kent Cymaz I just go to the woods and pick it off the trees cheeky

Yep I've used Aluclad with good results. The leaf idea interests me although I cannot see how to put rivet detail on it. Also the surface it would beaplied to would have to be of veryfine finish, no grain present here!

Let us know how you get on!

Dave,

I have done this on smaller scale models from a 1/72nd scale Vampire to a 1/32nd scale Spitfire racer. Rivets, especially on a larger scale flying model can still be done by the glue dot method first and then the foil over the top. I don't know about leaf, but I've used Kit-Kat wrapper, Baco foil and Baco Turkey foil which is thicker. I detest silver paint trying to be aluminium, so have done a fair bit of the foil stuff. It can be persuaded round compound curves, especially on bigger scale stuff, especially if you follow the original's panels and lay the foil panel by panel. The rivets will appear under a careful press of the thumb, then gently ease the foil down from the middle of the panel outwards.

To stick on most people use a varnish. Oil varnishes (enamels) will stay softer longer than water based.

Of course you could also try Sellotape Aluminium, a self adhesive tape meant for repairing gutters and downpipes. It is as near pure ally as you'll get and therefore very malleable, ideal for those sharper curves.

You will have to get clever with a scalpel, though. Use the round edged blades and just roll it on the surface. That way it won't tear the foil. I use polished bits of hardwood to burnish the foil down after placing it with tweezers and an initial rub down with cotton wool buds.

You can change the appearance of different panels (as the real thing) by turning the foil to show the grain in a different light. Different foils, different shades and of course baco foil has two sides exhibiting two finishes. You can darken it by putting a penny in a jug of vinegar and watch the ally darken depending on length of time you leave it in there.

I can only recommend you have a gander at a forum like Large Scale Planes or Britmodeller and search under "foiling models". Those guys have it SUPER-sussed, trust me!

It's the only way to do the finish and I take me 'at off to you for considering it.

I don't know, however what it does to radio integrity! But I know nothing about radio stuff.

Cheers,

MrTin (named for good reason<g>

Thats an encouraging response MrTin!

As its only the cowl (see pic) I dont anticipate any radio reception issues - that area tends to be choc-a-block with Lipo,motor and esc anyway and I have never had a RSSS warning from my TX when heading straight towards me - so I would be surprised if the foil makes any difference at all.

I think application is going to be a thing that takes a bit of practice so I have asked the company for twice what they think I might need so I can ruin half of it learning before I go near the model!!!

I'll look at those other forums and see what tips and pitfalls I can glean.... Ta

magister cowl.jpg

You're very welcome, sir!

Some things I know coz I've done them, some things I am a complete tyro at, but 40 years as a professional modelmaker has taught me a few tricks...some of them even work!

One thing it has taught me is never to pooh-pooh new and interesting materials, adhesives, paints, etc. When you earn your keep doing it, it tends to sharpen one's interests somewhat.

Fortunately, model flying remains a long term, if as yet unfulfilled hobby, so I'm in the strictly amateur category there, but if some of what I've done can help me and others, I'm only too pleased to help out.

Here's why they call me Mr.Tin:-

1/12th scale McLaren M8F in aluminium...(Mmmm, rivets!)

And yes, the steering rack works.

Cheers,

MrTin

Edited By Foxfan on 15/07/2015 22:17:28

This isn't going to help anyone, but I remember (a long time ago) a scale modeller that used the foil from inside Players No6 cigarette packets. This was a very thin metal foil with a sort of hard tissue backing. The backing was peeled off, and the foil would burnish onto the model and polish up beautifully. I wonder if the ally leaf is anything like that?

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/07/2015 19:47:47:

This isn't going to help anyone, but I remember (a long time ago) a scale modeller that used the foil from inside Players No6 cigarette packets. This was a very thin metal foil with a sort of hard tissue backing. The backing was peeled off, and the foil would burnish onto the model and polish up beautifully. I wonder if the ally leaf is anything like that?

If anything, I think its going to be thinner.....

Leaf is usually incredibly thin. It's made (well gold is, anyway) by being beaten with hammers on leather pads!

Gold can be continually worked without degradation. I wouldn't have thought ally can be, in fact it age hardens, so Heaven knows how they make it.

Chris, when I were a lad we went to Switzerland on a school trip. We missed our train at Zermat and all that kept us amused was to "leaf" a Formica table in the station caff with sweet and fag wrappers! Even the teachers were so bored they joined in. Foiling has fascinated me ever since!

Cheers,

MrTin