I need to buy a microphone

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

I'll ask me dad when he gets home later... He likes making amature films, but he can get fancy equipment if he claims it is for the teaching of medical students! He'll know a thing or two I rekon! + can't wait for the podcasts... The first good reason to splash out on a music player thingy...

G'Day David

Not really to do with mic's, but does garageband do video or just audio. We are starting podcasts for a week at school and are using video, only simple stills or animations. To play these you would need an mp4 or mpeg4 player but these aren't much more expensive than mp3. The advantage is things are easier to explain, say you were doing a beginner series, in it you can explain how to set up control horns and the image shows how they line up, or images to explain dihedral along with the words. Just a thought, it all depends what you need.

Mike

By reasonably priced I don't supose you mean around a hundred pounds?! Hec! My dad even has an £800 quid one! If only I could spend that on something... he he he he.... Never heard of garageband, but dad (again!) has sony vegas (a proffesional vidio editing suit and in the same pakage a soundy thingy...

You'll be needing a decent quality condensor for podcasts, cheap mic will not hack it.

Check out the Rode NT1A with a proper shock mount - should be about 99 quid.  Checkout the adverts in Sound on Sound magazine.

There are some packages with proper digital recorders and mics (called podcast bundles)

Regards

Andy 

Started our podcasts at school today. Using Mac's for the first time is confusing, but getting there. Because all the computers are in the same room we couldn't use their built in mic's (background noise), so we used iPod's which are new enough to use iTalk - a plug in stereo mic. Plug in the iTalk press record and start recording, then plug into the computer drag from iPod to garageband, cleanup and create podcast. The sound quality is suprisingly good, we had it half a metre from our heads, and when we played it back we also realised we had it a metre from the heater, but this was barely noticable so we left it in. I did a search for it and the price is about £20. If you already had a compatible iPod this we be a good solution and would be useful away from the computer aswell.

Mike