Sky Bug Park Flyer

Found this elderly Graham McAllister design.( I think the design is elderly. Don't know about Mr McA.) for sale as a limited kit; i.e. foam wing, depron tail assembly, snakes and servo wires plus plan and comprehensive instructions. The owner also included the recommended Graupner -type Speed 400 brushed motor, however I intend to fit brushless system and therein is my problem: what ESC, outrunner and prop should I use ??

This will be my first build for 60+ years and is within my doddery skill level..... any advice gratefully received.

Thanks Percy

"doh', as they say. I t has a 40" span and weighed 19 ozzes, as they used to say. I found it by gargling Graham MaCallister designs, a bloke who moved from the UK to USA a few yrs ago. His site(s) are still extant.

I bought the kit from a local (Melbourne Aus) rc site, not from a retailer. Info ?,not a lot..

Cheers Rex

P.S Sorry to see the Hunter crash. Awful.

Hi Rex, I have just this model,

Bought about 8 or9 years ago and fitted with recommended Speed 400 + Nmh pack it flew,just, but only in dead calm conditions so ended up as a 'hanger queen' until last year when I decided to try it again but with LiPo power but still with speed 400 brushed motor. A 2s pack was no improvement so a 3s was fitted, this seemed fine but not for long as it overheated the motor. A brushless motor was then fitted and with the 3s pack. At the same time I dug out a built-up wing of long forgotten origin and modified that to fit (this does away with the struts).. I have now had a couple of successful flights but as another build took priority the Skybug is back in the hangar.

The motor used is a BRC 2217-8T with a 9x3 prop and 20A esc Battery Tunigy 1300 mAh 3s LiPo, this gives upto 200W, way over the top but thats what the throttle is for.

Good luck with yours.

skybug brushless.jpegSky bug.jpg

Edited By Mowerman on 23/08/2015 09:44:02

Edited By Mowerman on 23/08/2015 09:49:28

Hi Mr Mowerman (related to the Lawn Ranger??)

Sorry my last post sounded rather dismissive of your very interesting reply. As I said, I bought the kit as much to test my (probably non-existent) building skills as much as anything (and it was cheap).

Do you think the wing is rubbish? I see you changed the motor at the same time as the wing; Did you try the old wing with the new motor at all??

Ta for your help

Rex

Hi Rex

Lawn Ranger smiley!! nice one.Why didnt I think of that?

The foam wing was O.K. but got damaged when the brushed motor ESC cut when trying 2s LiPo, repaired O.K. bur as i was never happy with the wire 'struts' and had this old wing sat in the workshop it seemed obvious to try it and it worked

Roy

Hi Rex,

The gold coloured open cage motor that Mowerman has used is one of a wide range made by Suppo. Lots of importers across the world add their own labels, hence the "BRC" branding. Widely available inc Internet such as EBay, usually for less than paying for a label.

2217 is likely the right size for your plane, and you will find that size motor in all sorts of winds, MM's being 8. Basically, the bigger the number the lower the kV rating and the bigger the prop needed.

As an example, a 6 wind will be about 2100/2300kV and will need around a 6x4, for a speed wing, and an 11 wind will be around 1000kV for a 10x7 or so. Obviously you don't want to ground the prop, so size matters!

These examples are for 3S (3 cell) LiPo. Prop size varies with motor size, wind AND cell count.

Personally I'd stick with the as designed wing!

• 1 year later...

hello Willhappy

Erm...(hides head in shame and embarrassment)

Yup, mine is still in the box, also. Trouble is, I keep crashing my favourite, the Radian glider. On my third new fuze

now. Applied strengthening (skewers, c/f rod etc) so maybe it'll stay in one piece for a while while I have a go at the Bug

Cheers