suggestions for an upgrade motor

Advert

thanks i,m it could be a duff motor as it just doesn,t have the power to stay in the air ,a hand launch and even at a shallow climb flight it tips it wing and stalls.i can get to the innards so might try the brushless ,although which i haven,t a clue

• 2 weeks later...
thats my next project  just upgrade to brushless on the tiger moth although abit confused why they three wires to contect to the motor and the three on the motor aren,t colour coded ,but till i save some more pennys it will ave to do ,does any body now where i can get a gearbox to fit the 400 motor  ??

Carl...my view would be to go brushless & forget the gearbox altogether....they sound horrible anyway. For good advise & low prices try BRC hobbies or Giantcod.....brushless is just about as cheap as a brushed motor these days...especially after you factor in the better performance. In fact brushless will probably be cheaper than a brushed motor with a gearbox!!!

A 200 watt outrunner motor for £9 compares pretty well with a Speed 400 brushed motor for about £6 in my book!!!!

Just to answer your question about the three wires to connect the motor....the reason they aren't colour coded is that it doesn't matter how you connect them. Connect the three wires from the output of the ESC to the three wires from the motor & hey presto it runs....if it runs backwards swap any two wires over & it runs the other way.....!!!! Usual caveats about not fitting the prop etc. Also if you use Futaba you will probably need to reverse the throttle channel......

Oh & buy a wattmeter.....essential for leccy flight & could save you the cost of a new motor/battery/ESC the first time you use it...(no don't ask me how I know this......)

Keep posting if you have more problems!!!

mad sunday at the tt over the mountain at 160 and i think everyone back in england could hear me scream ,i have been hinting for a track day as a birthday present ,although i wouldn,t mind doing the ron haslam one then its not my bike that might end up plastic side down

• 4 weeks later...