retracts

I have a Starmax P51-D 1600 mm Mustang, flying weight 2700g and I need to replace the original retracts ( too weak). Though the E.flite 24-46,85 deg are suitable, I`m reluctant to spend approx. £105.00. Therefore, I`m hoping someone knows of a less expensive replacement for my retracts. Thanks Eric.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28976__Servoless_Retract_with_Metal_Trunion_44mm_x_41mm_Mount_2pcs_.html

I've been using these Hobby King servoless retracts in my H9 Thunderbolt which is a bit bigger than your model. Good product at a fraction of the top name price - work well with oleos & they get a good customer review.Try to select those with metal trunnions.

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/08/2015 14:21:05

A question for cuban8 if I may. I have the original Hangar 9 P-47 and the kit retracts are not playing ball with the doors fitted. Are you using the original copper coloured wobbly wire legs with 5mm tubing to make up the difference, and did you solder it on?

My club mate has the same Mustang so this thread will help him out too

Hi Chris, It`s not maidend yet ! It`s now ready,and I`m taking it to the field, when I go flying, just in case you or Tony B,are there. No way will I maiden it myself ! Regarding this post about retracts, my research has highlighted the weakness of the original retracts on this model. So I`m just using my Boy Scouts principle of "Be Prepared". So I`m still looking for an alternative. Regarding Cuban8, suggestion, the mounting plate dimensions are too large !!

The original retracts were hopeless and after numerous jams and a blown servo because of the rubbish wire legs I ditched the whole lot.

I'm using the HK retracts with HK sprung oleos and decent Dubro wheels. I haven't bothered to refit the U/C doors, as on a sport model they're more trouble than they're worth. If you do fit electric units, check that the wing's mounting blocks are absolutely true, because if they're not, when you screw down the retracts they will twist and jam. I had to pack up the retracts with a few washers under the screw holes to correct the error. A bit of adjustment to the wing mounting blocks was required to get the units to fig snugly, but 10 minutes with a small Permagrit fixed that. Loctite all the screws in the retracts as they worked loose in mine.

The combination of oleos and quality lo-bounce wheels makes a massive difference to landings especially when you don't get it absolutely right. I'd never use solid wire undercarriages again, other than on small stuff.

Eric, HK have a range of smaller units, maybe one of those will be of use?

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/08/2015 11:01:14

This is the installation in my H9 Thunderbolt. The model is about 9lbs and has a 120FS up front. I'd browse the various retracts that HK have to offer and see what you can come up with. The range is fairly extensive so it might take a time to find exactly the right type / size & weight match. Same for the oleos. Removed the plastic wheel well liners to give a bit more clearance as well.

If the item is Global warehouse only, make sure to select UK Direct Channel as the delivery option and you'll have them in 10-15 days. UK warehouse no prob.

Ahhh thanks for that, C8! Just what I'm looking for and the picture speaks a thousand words for me; Cheers for that winksmileyyes.

Points noted thanks; and a nice install there.. I'm looking at an upgrade for my P51.. but if I can be happy with them, then of course more models with retracts is my thought process!

Can you tell me, any problems to report where the oleo meets the trunion?, do the oleos when connected fit flush to the servo motor housing etc. Thanks

This is the unit you mentioned above available through HK ? Same with the oleos are they HK..

Point noted on low bounce tyres.. too!

Thanks a lot in advance, Rgds A51

Edited By Area 51 on 30/08/2015 16:27:41

No problem with fitting the oleo, it fits perfectly flush to the motor housing without binding. I did make a slight error in selecting an oleo that was about 5mm too short, but was able to get away with fitting a spacer (a suitable nut) that you can see at the top of the leg.

The oleos are indeed from HK and the retracts are the 41mm type that I gave the link to in my first post.

Hi Cuban8, thanks so much for the extra information. I will get on with ordering a set with the oleos too for the P51 I'm looking to improve.

One last question, are you running the retracts off a seperate power supply?

All the best and thanks again, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

My replacement retracts for my Starmax Mustang are giving me an headache ! I cannot get them to synchronize. Altering the (R) or (N), does not help. Is it possible to synchronize them via my Spectrum Dx6i transmitter; if so how ? Or is there some otherway ??? Eric.