Plug-in wings for a Super 60

Having a small capacity (for models) car, I need to be a bit clever with how my models go together, so I'mm working on plug-in wing halves for my Super 60.

I was given some old crashed wings which are in halves anyway, but repairable, so I'm part way there.

I've made a new centre section which will bolt onto the (new) fuselage. It has two phenolic tubes mounted through the ribs, into which the two aluminium tubes, which come with them, will plug. The ally tubes will be strongly mounted in the wings, to slide in and be bolted through the centre section, maintaining the dihedral (reduced, as this one has ailerons).

Finally, Cub style struts will be mounted to wings and lower fuselage.

Has anyone else had to do something like this to get the kite in the car?

MrTin

Advert

Sounds like a good idea. I've been toying with something similar myself, at though with the wings having half the centre section attached to each panel. This would be then banded on as normal. I build mine with no dihedral at all and with ailerons having quite a deep chord, it's still very stable. Just out of interest what diameter tubes are you going to use? I was going to use 2 x 4mm piano wire in brass tubing. Cheers Adrian

Adrian,

I've used 1/2" phenolic tube, from SLEC, in the centre section at 2 points, with the ally tubing that comes with it. The ally is a sliding fit inside the phenolic.

Suitable hard points will be built into the wings for the ally tube and the strut mounts.

Cheers,

MrTin