Hobby King 30cc models

Rich too

I'm looking for a cheapish large model that I can practice mild 3D with and came across the HK 30cc models, Yak 54, Sbach 342, and MXS-R.

I am leaning towards the Yak as it appears to have good reviews and a good following. Has anyone got any experience of any of them that you'd care to share?

Which would be the easiest to fly and less likely to bite back? I'm not really interested in 3D, but for whatever reason I have for years wanted to learn to hover!devil

Cheers

Rich

Edited By Rich2 on 14/09/2015 14:23:32

Advert

Apparently the engine and airframe "parted company" on the Yak whilst being flown by a member at one of my clubs. I wasn't there to see it but reports seem true. You may want to beef it up a bit.

The Sbach seemed to have issues as discussed here.

Edited By Justin K. on 14/09/2015 15:39:51

Posted by john stones 1 on 14/09/2015 17:38:33:

Not only H.K models that need a little adding in u/c and bulkhead area, an iffy landing or bumpy field will sort the expensive brands out as well. Non of those models bite without being really provoked Rich, we've had/have them all at our club, good models for the money.

John

Thanks John, that's good to know, I think i'm going to start with the Yak.wink

Posted by Gavin Livsey on 14/09/2015 18:37:12:

Rich,

I picked up the Slick 540 in the May sale for under £150. It's very good. Only difference to some of the premium brands is a lack of carbon wing tube and undercarriage.

Edited By Gavin Livsey on 14/09/2015 18:38:48

Thanks Gavin, unfortunately its nearly £200 at the moment. I will keep an eye for future sales!

Posted by Justin K. on 14/09/2015 15:39:18:

Apparently the engine and airframe "parted company" on the Yak whilst being flown by a member at one of my clubs. I wasn't there to see it but reports seem true. You may want to beef it up a bit.

The Sbach seemed to have issues as discussed here.

Edited By Justin K. on 14/09/2015 15:39:51

Undercarriage issues are something most ARTFs of this type suffer, not just Hobby King, the airframes are designed to be very light so there are bound to be week spots, in most cases undercarriage parting company on less than perfect landings. Bulkheads also seem to be a weak area on a lot of ARTFs and not just the cheap ones, they often need a little more glue and some re-enforcement.

Posted by Ben Kelly on 15/09/2015 15:54:37:

I have one of these Extra 260's. Fantastic plane, as always needs some beefing up on the U/C and firewall but will give you unlimited performace with a 30cc engine fitted.

**LINK**

I had that model a few years back when it was sold under the Cermark brand as a package with an SPE26 engine.