Raptor 30 Flybarless Conversion?

Robert Armstrong 2

Don't know how silly it is, but there's a thread about it here in another forum.

I would vote for a Microbeast, either stand-alone or in the AR7200 if you use Spektrum gear. Digital servos are usually recommended for FBL because of their faster and more-positive response. But with electric helis there's lots of talk about FBL gyros being affected by vibration, so I don't know how they would cope in a glow model.

Of course, you also have to change the whole head setup to connect directly to the swash.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 20/09/2015 21:48:57

I have converted a couple of Hirobo Sceadu 50's. It does NOT have to cost a lot or be dead complex

For them I used the CopterX C3X2000 Gyro (£35!!) and a clone TRex 550 FBL head (£27) with turnbuckle rods of the right length (72mm from memory, got four for £10)

Don't have a Raptor so cannot advise on exact parts, but similar approach must work!!

I had digital servos anyway but you do need decent power.

One ESSENTIAL IMO are purpose made FBL blades as they have a differing CG to suit.............it MIGHT work without but do you want to risk violent blade tracking/thrashing issues halfway though a loop or roll?? Got mine for £37.

I do know someone who on a Sceadu took off the flybar, etc, fitted thicker rods, and flew it with the tail gyro only................ wink 2

Overall, apart from autos being shortened by the drag, I prefer flybar for a more natural feel.