Sim compatable with Apple

david james 1

My two grandsons (9 and 12) want to fly RC. I said I would buy them a simulator and, if they stuck with it and could fly the sim properly, I would set them up with the real thing.

The snag is that their home is a microsoft free zone, full of Macs, ipads etc.

As far as I can see, Phoenix is only Windows compatible and a little sophisticated (and expensive) for what I need.

Any suggestions?

Advert

This relative newbie learnt to fly using Phoenix sim & a Dx6i Tx. I've since tried the PicaSim on my tablet & it's like chalk & cheese.

Seriously , I don't think any novice, even the game savvy young, will succesfully make the transition from a PicaSim type sim to actual model flying with a 'real' Tx without tears.

Phoenix type sims might be 'a little sophisticated' but are as close to real model flying you will get whist sitting in your armchair.

David - all macs come with software called Bootcamp that you can choose to load up and in doing so it replicates a windows operating system which should allow you to load a sim on to it. I am a staunch mac user but I do use a pc for simulators as I see no point in buying a mac and then cluttering it up with slow old windows

Posted by vic evans 1 on 07/10/2015 15:24:40:

This relative newbie learnt to fly using Phoenix sim & a Dx6i Tx. I've since tried the PicaSim on my tablet & it's like chalk & cheese.

Seriously , I don't think any novice, even the game savvy young, will succesfully make the transition from a PicaSim type sim to actual model flying with a 'real' Tx without tears.

Phoenix type sims might be 'a little sophisticated' but are as close to real model flying you will get whist sitting in your armchair.

Vic, it's possible to use an RC transmitter with PicaSim. Check out this website.

**LINK**

Edit: I do have to stress that this is for Windows PC's only, although it might work with a Windows emulator on a Mac.

Edited By Essjay on 07/10/2015 15:37:35

Posted by vic evans 1 on 07/10/2015 15:24:40:

I am in total agreement with your second paragraph. and that is why I want a proper mac/ipad compatible sim that uses a proper tranny.

Buying a windows only sim and then having to use a win emulator on a mac seems a complex solution so that is why I tend to rule out Phoenix

So for you tecchies - if i bought a trannie with a usb output -like this

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Httpwww_banggood_comWholesale-6CH-G4-XTR5_0-RC-Remote-Control-Flight-Simulator-For-Helicopter-Airplane-p-55419_html-p-55419.html

would I be able to configure a mac/ipad with picasim to work?

• 1 year later...

I have the basic (i.e. cheapest) Aerofly 7 on my Mac, which you download (overnight) from Apple. No need whatsoever for a fancy TX, I just use my old DX6i. You'll need an Ikarus USB connector, which seems unjustafiably expensive, but maybe some other cheaper versions will work?

Its okay. I suspect the Pheonix sim is better, but I don't have a PC. We have Picasim on my son's PC Tablet which connects with the same USB connector, but the screen is still small.