What's the bhe biplane in the Phoenix f/demo?

Andrew Johnston

Hi, I am new to this site and would like some help in indentifying the yellow biplane shown in the Phoenix free demo. I have not built and flown model planes since 1973/74 and would like to buy a Futaba 6exp 2.4GHz rc kit and the Phoenix flight simulator to try and get back some of my rc skills.

I know that this biplane in the demo is flown by an expert piolet but I consider it a challenge to built and will be starting off with a high wing plane first say a Piper cub, electrical driven. Please help and let me know where I can obtain the plan for the biplane.

Hi David, many thanks for your reply unfortunately because it's a demo download I cannot copy the biplane, however I think its a Pitts special but being away from rc models for so long I am not sure. David which flight simulator would you go for and would you choose the Futaba 6 or 7 channel kit.

Hi Andrew, well I've used the Pheonix sim which is very good and I'd say the same for Reflex and Aerofly pro deluxe - I think the H9 sim is too expensive. The RC plane Master is superb value for £20 although the graphics are basic - it flies well though.

Go for the best radio you can afford - at least 6 channels, the more the better. As you progress you'll be glad you did. Personally I'd go for the 7-channel.

Posting pics is best covered by the user admin forum section where there's a guide - have a look there. You can post pics from a pic saving website like photobucket or upload them direct from your computer. Just click on the tree icon above to do either.

Hi David, Rob & Eric, many many thanks for your replies to my questions, I have started to read the latest RC magazines and the kits, plans and radio gear are bewildering. I have narrowed down the rc radio kits to Futaba and Spektrum 2.4GHz systems 6 or 7 channel. My last plan building plane was a 60" Spitfire which was built but never covered, which was dumped when moving house along with many books and modelling gear so I am starting from scratch. Could you please let me know the best, current books on RC Model building, Electric motors & batteries for RC planes and any other books you have found useful.

Many thanks and may the Good Lord fill you harts and guide your hands.

Andy Johnston

Well it varies from article to article, three months yes, one month, sometimes pieces are being prepared days before we send the mag down the line to the printers  

Books? There are lots and I don't want to sound like a salesman for the company - have a look at www.myhobbystore.com  - my favourite is Kevin Shacklock's book. He describes making a series of models in a nice readable format.

Andrew - have you seen Tony Nijhuis' article here on the site about traditional building?

here it is

Hi David & Eric, thanks again for your help. David I have ordered the Kevin Shacklock's book you recommended and have printed out the 'Plan of Attack' article by Tony Nijhuls for reading. David I ordered and received the Solarfilm DVD which demonstrates the various covering techniques, very informative and what a change from the tissue and dope covering I used some 30 years ago.

Many thanks again and please keep up the good work, a helping hand is always welcome.

Andy

Hi David, the Kevin Shacklock's book is worth every penny with lots of information on most aspects of model building and the equipment used in RC control etc. I am about to order a Futaba 6EXP 2.4GHz FASST system and the Plans and wood kit for the RC2038 Spitfire Mk.9 and I will order a slow high wing plane for training.

many thanks for all your help andy.

Hi David, possibly but I might go basic kit first also I am still considering the flight simulator possibly the Phenix one.

Andy Ps David would it be better to go for a quality RC Transmitter only first and the flight simulator as the radio receiver could be added when needed rather than having the RC & Servos lying about for perhaps 6 to 10 months or so.

Andy

I lifted this straight from the Phoenix website:

Which transmitter types does Phoenix support?

Our USB interface device is compatible with a huge range of transmitters and training boxes. Please note that Phoenix will only accept input through the included USB device, and does not accept control through USB controllers.

The current supported transmitter list is as follows:

All JR MC/MX (no adaptor required)
Spektrum DX6/DX7 (no adaptor required)
All Futaba (Futaba round or square adaptor required)
All Hitec (Hitec adaptor required)
All Multiplex (Multiplex adaptor required)
All Sanwa RD-series *NOT RDS series* (Sanwa adaptor required)
E-sky (Mini-DIN adaptor required)
Co-Pilot (Mini-DIN adaptor required)
Blade CX-2 (no adaptor required)
Art-tech 100B (no adaptor required)
Art-tech 100C (Art-tech 100C adaptor required)

Please note that the following transmitters are not supported:

Futaba FX-18 with 2.5mm stereo training port
All USB controller devices/joysticks
All Walkera (not currently supported)
Sanwa RDS series (not currently supported)

Hi Rob, thanks for this list of transmitters which support the Phoenix F/S I have checked out Eric Bray's advice by purchasing Clear View F/S at £20 and it worked with the Reality Craft 6 channel PPM transmitter, so having both the RC Plane Master & the Clear View F/S these should give me enough practice.  I know these F/S do not compare graphics wise to the Phoenix F/S but cost is a big factor when you'r retired.

Thanks again Rob & Eric

Andy. ps I'll look up the Phoenix site again Rob I don't know how I missed it, "talk about forest & trees"!

Eric

I don't think Phoenix are being awkward, just protecting their investment. You need a "dongle" and a proper Tx to run the sim, so the pirates can't download it for free and run it with a joystick or other usb device.

Phoenix is the best R/C sim fullstop and worth every penny of its £70 price tag!

Rob

Hi Dave, I have lost count of the many crashes I have made using the two flight simulators, Reality Craft & Clear View, using the 6 channel ppm transmitter and I hope that the Futaba 6Ex 2.4GHz radio system which I have ordered from RC Mods LTD gives better responce in true flight. Dave could you please advise on a first plane, electric power please with a wing span of say 36" to 48"  which will give me reasonable slow  stable fright to allow time to make trim adjustments. Also Dave could please advise on a book which will explain electric power flight, ie motors brush & brushless, batteries and controllers, perhaps  giving the size of motors to the weights/wingspan of models etc

Your advise is very much appreciated.

Andy.