To 2.4ghz or not to 2.4ghz

Hello all my name is jason and I am a newbie feel like an aa meeting.

I just bought a Hitec optic 6 and was kinda wishing I had waited for more cash and gotten a 2.4ghz system.I have been looking at upgrading it with a spectra module but its allmost half the price of getting a 2.4ghz tx,rx.But then again I have read about some of the 35mhz(72mhz for me us.) tech. and it makes me think about going 2.4ghz.I am still new to flying and I would like to know more about trasmiters and recivers ppm/dsm, dual conversion vs single conversion ext..ext...realy I want to know what gets the best range.I have a 2.4ghz mini camera and a 2.4ghz blade chopper the other day I was flying it with the camera installed into the front of the chopper.It would work ok when I was close to the chopper but as soon as it got 10-15feet away from me it would stop working.As in fell out of the sky kinda stop working lucky it was not to high from the ground and didn't break.But all in all I would of hoped that the 2.4ghz spectrum dsm2 tech. would of performed better mabe futaba fasst tech. is better idk.

Advert

Hi Jason and welcome....don't forget your profile

Can't really answer your query although you could try a post in the helicopter section. Are you going fixed wing? Your 35MHz radio should be just fine for a long time to come and while 2.4GHz is great, as a beginner you'd probably only notice a difference in higher powered electric models, EDF and the like. If you're going to fly i.c. or small electric then I'd say use what you have until you've progressed your flying skills and knowledge ......you never stop learning mind, no matter how long you've been flying!   

Thank you Eric and David for your help.I do look through the forums but some times it's hard to tell what forums are good and what is not.Realy you are just taking anouther persons point of view and here in the us it seems to be guided by media.I realy apreciate the advice and hope to get more in the future.I will stop by the chopper posts but my heart is in planes.I have a sukhoi su-26m aeroshell 30e,rhythm sport flyer foam bi plane,sonic 500(gp),and a p38 lightning.I have taken off and landed on my own 2 times so far but my heart still pounds when I have to land.Thank's again

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

have subscribed to mag for several years, best there is.

am having problems setting up century swift  550 that i brought without any radio gear, a mistake i think.

i have brought the servos and gyro etc and want to program a futaba 6ex trani 2.4, the heli has 120o swatch plate.

has any one gone thro this set-up and can they explain it to me, in idiot/ child proof lanuage that i will try to under stand.

thank you in advance, god i need help.