Control surface hinges, what type?, how many?

Is there any rule of thumb to determine the best hinge quantity / type for any particular surface - primarily scale with the constraints that appearance and potential for maintenance applied.

Before commencing the build of my Cessna 182 ( Top Flite 81" ) I'm looking at the hinging methods available so that I can incorporate into the build plan.

For the flaps I have 4 Robart Fowler hinges but two seems to be too few on each flap, Robart seem reluctant to answer 'how many per sq cm area', looks more like three would be the optimum. Also having looked at them it is going to be hard to make the flaps removable and should repair be needed it won't be easy. Normally I'd use the Robart hinges inserted and pinned in pockets which makes removal easy - but these don't provide the scale effect I'm looking for.

For the remaining surfaces (aileron / elevator / rudder) I was going to use the miniature piano hinges, but how best to do this since once fitted the maintenance etc again looks like it would be an issue.

On another note has anyone ever managed decent control of ailerons by driving from the ends 'internally' instead of via an external linkage / horn ? - this is the kind of thing I'm exploring **LINK**

Edited By Ben Kenobi on 24/10/2015 10:29:03

Posted by Ben Kenobi on 24/10/2015 10:28:26:

On another note has anyone ever managed decent control of ailerons by driving from the ends 'internally' instead of via an external linkage / horn ? - this is the kind of thing I'm exploring **LINK**

Edited By Ben Kenobi on 24/10/2015 10:29:03

There was a piece in the mag on that a little while ago. Danny Fenton?

I don't recall which issue. Perhaps someone else will be able to help with that

Did you source parts in the UK - I've been trying to get the mechanics of it clear in my mind. struggling to see how it works without binding, but clearly it does work - just can't get the grey cells to function.

You mention in your build 'slop free' - do they stay this way? - how much maintenance - looks like the only way to adjust position is via the servo too.

Nice job on the flaps - I thought mine was complex !!