Setting up flaps

Hi All,

I have a FF7 and am trying to setup flaps on a new model for the first time (Chipmunk) and have a few questions:

If I have dual airleron servos setup on ch1 and ch5 (flaperon ena)

Then use a y-lead for the flaps in ch6

Do i need a reversing y-lead becuase my flaps are moving in opposite directions?

If so, can I make a reversing y-lead from my straight one? If so how?

Are there any other ways/configurations i can try that mean I dont need a reversing y-lead?

EG have the airlerons in ch1 with a y lead and maybe have the flaps using 2 channels??

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it

Advert

Panic over. I used the instructions here and have setup something that I (think I...) want.

The question I now have is with the flaps/flaperons deployed (down) won't the plane turn on that axix (the flaps) and have a nose nose down?

I guues what I'm asking is that if my flaps are going down then don't I want to mix in a little up elevator so that I can maintain a constant attitude while slowing the plane and increasing the lift of the wing?

I hope I'm making sense, it's way past my bedtime

On my cessna Skylane I mixed in some down elevator slaved to the flaps on  a free mixer - I think it's about 18% or so. I've not having tried a low winger with flaps, but I think it may depend on how much the flaps move - something like a Spit with 90 degrees flap I suppose it might cause a nose down couple.  As Eric said, you need to get some height and experiment.  I've got flaps on the rotary knob on my FF6, so I can move the flaps in small increments. 

Well, the chipmunk maidened today in what is best described as gusty conditions. If I'm honest the conditions were more suited to an old hack as the wind was really quite foul. Lot's of gusts and turbulence.

However, with plenty of spare sky beneath I tried the flaps (not the airbrake mix) and found that the plane actually began climbing and pitching up as if it was doing a very lazy loop.

There's definately a suck it and see approach here - I hope to get the chippie back out later in the week (when the winds are hopefully going top be a little less gusty).

Hi

As the discusion is on flaps, may I ask a question

I have the Spektrum DX6i and in the instuctions it says to set the faps to either  normal or land on a swith on Tx marked 0 and 1. Surley if it is programmed on both settings the flaps are never going to go back to neutral as the switch is just two positions ie 1 or 0. I am sure I am missing something but cant see what it is. No doubt someone will put me right you usually do thank goodness.

Thanks Timbo for saying what I thought the only thing that puzzled me was the directions I quote

The flap system alows the flap and elevator positions to be programmed for landing and take off. This is accomplished by selecting values for elev and flaps to be activated when the flap / gyro is engaged . Two flap and elev positions are available. Normal and Land. That is their wording from the book but how you can get two positions and normal flying from a two position switch beats me. Maybe you can sort it, I cant

Its not so much a language thing, more a lack of understanding about what beginners really need. Most of the manuals ( even the good ones ) were obviously written by one of two types of peoiple.

1) A complete goon who has not left primary school yet, and can barely knock up simple line drawings and attach the correct text to it - and then tries to photocopy it without ensuring toner is in the machine.

2) Someone who knows every inch of the model and how it goes together, but falls for the mistake of forgetting that he / she is the ONLY one eho knows that and others actually need it explaining properly, A-Z