E-flite Sea Fury

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
After waiting 4 months I finally managed to get a first flight in with mine the other day at Osbornby.  Following Shaun's "adventures" with his Sea Fury I was ready for the worst...........

It didnt have any problems taking off from the grass (but the field is like a bowling green), gear up, climbed away nicely, levelled off and turned downwind to sort out the trims.  Except the trims didn't need touching at all!  Then followed some aeros and low passes until the 5 minute timer went and a greaser of a landing.  I had 6 flights altogether and each one was a blast.  It looked the business against a clear blue sky and I was very impreessed with the flying qualities.  The only slight down side is the way a foamie looks tatty so quickly, but this is a great little model and one I would throughly recommend to anyone.

I will now make some plasticard undercarriage doors and tidy up the UBEC installation before the next session.

Pete 

Been  having a blast with mine also, the repairs don't really show as it was already weathered so I will leave a re-paint until the winter. It really is a lovely model to fly isn't it Pete.

I've been going for hand launch and bellies in until I can improve the strip a little more but they are not a problem at all. I will eventually go for undercarriage doors and larger wheels, but for now I'm just flying it and enjoying every minute of it.

I guess the down side of foamies is the tatty look, but after my little 'event' which looked bad when picking up the bits there is no doubt in my mind that foam is the best  material for flying models as far as I'm concerned. A couple of hours of work and it all went back together and is flying just the same as it did before the crash.

• 2 weeks later...
Just found this thread!  I built my Sea Fury in Sep 08 using all the E-Flite recommended servos and the 450 motor.  Also splashed out for the JR DSX9 (that bent the bank balance but not as badly as it would today!).  When I first flew the SF I was worried about the range with the Spectrum 6100 but despite flying quite large loops control has been rock solid.  I am using a Y lead on the ailerons and 2 channels for the undercarriage as with the DSX9 you can slow down servo movement.  The gear is timed to take around 1 min to retract with one wheel lagging the other by a small amount.  Looks really good!  I've found that it needs either tarmac or really short smooth grass to do a wheeled landing or take off.  Hand launching with the wheels down is childs play as your finger holds are perfectly positioned.  Sadly, I have just damaged the beast when flying in poor light and doing a low level beat up - didn't notice that there was a significant hump in the grass which brought the SF to a very quick stop and shredded the port aileron and elevator - both currently undergoing repair.  Hope to have it flying again for next week.  By using no more than just over half throttle I've had  several 15 min flights but I now set the timer for 12 mins.  This was the second electric model I have had the first being a PZ Fw 190 which was no comparison to this magnificent little bird!  As you can tell, I love flying this aircraft to the extent that my ic fleet is beginning to feel a bit neglected!

Pleased to report that my Sea Fury is back together and fles like it did before the slight altercation with the ground.  Mind you, having used glass reinforded tape to hold the filler in together on the port aileron, I had a little trimming to do before she flew hands off.  I also managed to mismatch the grey paint that I used for hiding the repairs but as you can't see the different colour when it's flying it will probably stay that way!

Mine was only a minor spill, took off a wing tip against a fence but unfortunately broke the fuz in half and disrupted the wing seat.

It looked bad, but really when taking it all apart it was less work to sort out than building the original kit. She goes really well now too.

In all I think the crash let me go over a few weak glue joints too, I noticed the motor mount sitck came out far too easily after the crash for example and is now held in with epoxy. Great model, take care to check the factory made glue joints regularly though!

Mines got a few different colours now, I didn't even bother painting the repairs, she just looks battle worn!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the delay in replying Shaun, things have gone a bit haywire for me the last month.  Had another 6 flights with my 114 yesterday and off again later for another 6 (I have 6 Lipos!)  Found a good paint match for the dark sea grey upper surfaces: Tamiya Acrylic XF-54 Dark Sea Grey!!!!  Not found a decent match for the underside yet, but the white doesn't show so much anyway.
Funny you should have mentioned the SR177 because I had it in the car this morning to take down to Cornwall for a first flight, but I decided to stay in Brixham instead so the maiden has been put off yet again.
Pete  

Edited By Dizz on 04/05/2009 13:38:19

• 3 months later...
Don't know if anyone is still interested in E-Flite Sea Fury stories, but here goes.  I built one in Sep 08 and had a great time flying it.  Had two arrivals but managed to repair it.  Unfortunately, while flying it a couple of months ago on a sports filed in failing light (that tells a story!) I managed to fly it into a flood light stanchion right on the spinner!  I don't suppose I could have done that if I tried!  Anyway, the damage was extensive and could probabaly have been repaired but it was going to look pretty naff.  So, i thought I'd buy another one and found (shock horror) that Horizon were no longer importing them.  Something to do with the overall cost of servos if you went the whole hog with rudder and retracts.  By dint of ringing around model shops, I found one with 2 kits remaining and bought both.  I've now built the first one and, having learned that the belly pan does not stay on with the supplied sticky tape, decided to Uhu Por it to the wing.  If any one is interested I'll report how I get on with this.  As before, I've left off the rocket fit as I tend to land wheels up on long grass most of the time.  I intend to fit u/c doors using thin fibre glass sheet.  Any views on that approach?  I'm also tempted to go for the 5 blade prop conversion but I shall have to search the forum to find the article on that - unless someone can point me to it.

Hi Peter. Good to see someone still plugging away at it. I think Whitchurch Models might still have one or two in stock. I held my belly pan on with little screws. Worked a treat.

I have a set of prop blades for the 5 blade conversion, and also a few spare parts from my wreck (belly pan, retracts etc). If you want any of these drop me a PM.