Antenna Position

Hi everyone,

Do you have some suggestion ?

dessus.jpg

A ?, B ?

dessous2.jpg

C, D or E ?

In other terms do I have to worry a "masking shield " from the LIPO / motor ?...

cone.jpg

or from the board cam ?...

ecr.jpg

that will make me loose the video signal when I'm "behind" ?

Could balsa wing also be a "shield" ?

Or is this not a problem and it works whatever the position of the antenna ?

Thanks for your wise thoughts, henri.

Edited By Henri Squier on 06/01/2016 20:54:23

It seems to me options C Dand E would be ruled out because of their vulnerability if you have no undercarriage and they would be just as screened as the options A or B if you did have one. Quite honestly, I think your over thinking it. There are always going to be problems with less than optimal transmission in some orientations where ever you fit the antennae.

I think I'd opt for position B as the least worst

Geoff

With FPV it is usual, on a flying wing(delta) to place the RC Rx antenna out on one wing and the video Tx antenna out on the other wing giving maximum separation and reduced interaction. On a conventional plane the video Tx antenna should be placed at the rear of the plane up on the fin. Balsa will have no effect on the video signal. Are you on any dedicated FPV forums? If not come back and I or others will provide some links. This sort of info and more is available in the starters/beginners threads on these forums.

HTH

Hi, Thanks for answers.

Sorry for lack of information : the plane is balsa trad build, 46 inches, will have undercarriage, radio Tx is 2.4 Ghz and video signal on 5.4 Ghz.

... and for GONZO I'll be happy with your offer, i'm not in any FPV forum and I'll be pleased if you can give me some good links.

henri

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Henri - I use 5.8 Ghz and site the video TX at the rear of the cockpit for fixed wing, for convenience. This has least impact on the CG. On quads, especially 250 size, it tends to be quite close to the flight controller, GPS, 2.4ghz Rx and the battery, ie a couple of inches. I have found no problems at all with the quality of the video signal. There will be masking from the battery and certain other items on the model, and the frame itself on carbon fibre quads, but the model will be changing orientation so quickly that any masking will be momentary and not an issue for flying. The quality of components used will have a larger impact on signal and image quality.