Mistral 2500

Mistral 2500 from MFA Thermal/Slope Soarer Has a anyone had/flown this model? Can't find any reviews atm.

I'm looking for a slope thermal glider around 2.5mtr span for those balmy days when there's limited ridge lift not enough for anything aerobatic. Full house, airbrakes & or spoilers & or flaps. Suggests welcome.

Advert

Quite like the Discus or the Ventus but being scale i thought they may need a fairly windy day. The scale model i would like lots is the Foka 4, but apparently it tip stalls rather badly but it looks soooo kool.

Gentle Lady is 2 channel, looking for full house with aribrakes/spoilers/flaps and 2.5 - 3 mtrs.

Assuming its the 2.6mtr £80 Discus, it had a good review last year in the BMFA mag. The only complaint i have come across, think it was on RCU, was with the wing joining kit not being very good. Needs beefing up a bit. Prefer the look of the Ventus but it's another £36.....hmmm. Like to hear how yours goes Eric, blog on the kit and build would be good.

I have a Fiesta in excellent condition that I do not  use ,I am saving up for a carbon  mouldy and have been thinking about selling  some of my collection, I will probably regret it but if someone makes a reasonable offer I may part with her.Would even consider a part ex: for the right  model.

Cheers  David.

check out http://www.arthobby.pl/ they are pretty floaty. I think you can get them from spire models in the UK.

They big birds from www.skybench.com would be a nice model to build.

Most "glass slipers" that aren't heavy (e.g DSers, as described by Eric) will do the job, at a cost.  

Thanx Tom, some nice models there but way out of my price range.

Eric, after a fairly extensive search on Google i've not been able to locate any further info or supplier for the Fiesta. Is it an old kit no longer made? Would like a scale glider at some point so may just go for the Ventus and maybe build something like a scaled up Orangebox with ailerons and spoilers to fill the gap.

are the teakle kits and the fiesta really light wind/lift models per se?  personally i would go for a poly floater (say a BOT or Riser 100 etc.). 

That said it depends on what your intersests are (e.g scale or whatever).  However, you might struggle to get something full-house, that's good for light lift, for a reasonable price.   

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking for an 100" approx glider with ailerons etc for slope soaring which flies in reasonable gentle winds but which has a bit of spirit for some aerobatics on a descent day. I keep coming back to 3 models "ASW 28", "Mistral 2500" and "Super Rieti" as possibilities.  Please any advice would be appreciated or any other suggestions please. Many thanks. Richard

• 1 month later...

Super Rieti:

Not quite the quality i had expected. The plastic fuselage, tailplane and rudder had a lot of flashing from the moulding process. It took over 2hrs to cut and scrape it all off. in addition the plastic parts are off white, meaning it required painting. The instructions are pictorial with very brief text in 6 languages, i.e. a picture of 2 components with text which says 'glue' i only figured out what glue to use as in one image the glue bottle is large enough to make out 'Cyan' on the side. The flying tail is fixed to the control axle by a grub screw screwed into a plastic collar, this is all that holds the elevators on. Another grub screw fixes the axle to the plastic control arm inside the fin. i think this will prove to be inadequate, grub screws have a fine thread and are not suitable for self tapping into plastic.

The control system for flaps and ailerons consists of brass tubes, one inside the other. With the inner one operating the outboard ailerons and the outer the inboard air brakes. These are then epoxied to the control surfaces and function as hinges. While the control system seemed like a good idea at first, fitting it requires great accuracy. Too much clearance will produce slop, too little will result in unacceptably high friction. The routered slots outlining the cutouts for ailerons and flaps proved to be a little inaccurate, so some time and a great deal of care needed to be taken trimming back the cutouts before fitting the ply backing against which the brass tubes rest. Some scrap wood needed to be added to the front edge of the flaps and ailerons for them to fit correctly in the wing. Having connected up the controls as per drawing there was .5" slop in the ailerons, so the 'R' clips that fitted in the ends of the brass tube were lengthened and ball links fitted to the servos, this reduced the slop to around 2mm. 10oz of lead was needed to get the C of G where shown on the drawing (no dimension given.)

Flying: First flight showed rudder was needed to turn and any use of elevator in a turn resulted in tip stall. Mixed 30% rudder to aileron and tried again. Much better in the turns, put on some speed for a loop then a bit more speed for a roll, the ailerons fluttered badly at speed and despite aileron movement of .75" each way control was very sluggish. The deep short ailerons are not very effective, according to the book i have on model aircraft aerodynamics that's expected. Another time i would fill in the gaps routered for the ailerons, cut strip ailerons up to the air brakes and fit servos in the wings. Sold on Ebay.

I have now bought the CMPro Ventus.