Sonny 1500 retro glider RCME April 2016

The sun came out today - eventually, so onwards and upwards. Here's some pics of the wings framed up.

The differences are: an additional top spar from 1/8" x 1/4" spruce (all I had). This appeared to be needed to stiffen the wings a little - they were a little 'bendy' without to say the least. This is probably because I have used the nearest imperial size balsa - always slightly less than the metric sizes quoted on the plan. My nearest model shop doesn't have metric sizes! I also added a gusset/stiffener to each wing-tip, as the balsa I used was a little on the soft side.

The wings are joined using a Ø5mm (yes, metric!) piano wire in aluminium tubes which are anchored in the root ribs.

Covering should happen during the weekend (weather permitting), then it will be taken for display at the club monthly meeting on Tuesday night. Fingers crossed for a small prize.

The Cox .049 should get its first ever run out soon.

So, here are a few pics for you.

wingframe 1.jpg

wingframe rhs.jpg

wingframe 2.jpg

coxpod.jpg

Edited By Geoff Peacock on 02/08/2018 19:41:30

Edited By Geoff Peacock on 02/08/2018 19:43:18

Advert

Just a little trim added - one wing only (so I can see which way it's going!).

Hope the Cox .049 runs well, as it's never been started before. Not sure how long a run I'll get from a tankful of fuel, but it should be enough to get a little height. I daren't run it in the garden - sensitive neighbours angry 2.

finished & pod rhs.jpg

finished & pod lhs.jpg

• Like 1

Just back from our club's monthly meeting, when we get to show our latest models. Fiercely competetive (not!) the Sonny won this month's prize - a nice bottle of claret.

I also won the raffle - a gallon of Optimix fuel, then managed to 'grab' a new 12V starter battery, one of two which had been donated to sell, for just a fiver!!!

Chuffed, or what? A profitable night all round.

• 2 weeks later...

Finis!

All decals made (laser-printed waterslide transfers) and fitted.

Just the maiden to do now, perhaps in a couple of days, which will probably be little more than a trimming glide only, without the motor fitted, but is weather and available field dependent.

All up weight with battery, Rx & Motor is just under 30 ozs. I hope that won't be too heavy.

Wish me luck.

full decals.jpg

decals.jpg

graupner fin.jpg

wing decal.jpg

cox decal.jpg

decals 4.jpg

decals 3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It flew!

I got two short flights from a slope in a stronger breeze than I would have liked, then… having stupidly left the model on the edge of the slope while I helped my friend set his model up 20 yards away, a sudden gust cartwheeled it 10 yards along the edge.

Result? A cracked trailing edge which needs a fairly easy repair (I think). Sorry, no photos of the maiden.

• 4 years later...