EE Lightning F6 90mm EDF

pete taylor

That's a really nice looking Lightning, and from the description of the parts manufacturing requirement, plus the skeleton view on Jim's website it looks and sounds like a well thought-out and produced kit.

Just the right size for a Wren 44 too smile d

It'd be nice to see some more pics on this thread showing the assembly sequence, plus info on the flaps and what Jim recommends for retracts.

Advert

Elevator mount - a lot of work went into this and it's now servo-specific (Turnigy/KST/MKS) and extremely solid.

et voila.jpg

f-6_first_parts (4)s.jpg

f-6_fuse(3).jpg

I didn't fit flaps to the prototype and can't say that I missed having them. If I was to add them I'd simply follow the scale hinge line and cut the trailing edge to suit.

As for retracts, the wing joiner system is well capable of supporting sub-ribs to carry whatever units you choose to fit and the wing section has been thickened by 10mm from scale to allow for this. However, there's a peculiar angle on the pivot of the full size undercarriage to allow for the wing sweep whilst still keeping the wheels flat when retracted and maintaining the correct forward rake of the oleos when extended. There's also the problem of producing suitably thin wheels to maintain scale appearance.

As a result, Jim decided to shelve the idea of retracts for the time being and employ the KISS principle.

Many thanks for posting the assembly pics Pete. The model looks just as impressive in separate parts as it does in flight. Jim's done a superb design job on this model.

It's interesting to see that Jim has used the scale tailplane hinge line. It's a tight but secure looking arrangement. Regarding flaps, the light weight of the model probably bestows a fairly low landing speed and obviates the need for them, and they could be a bit vulnerable on a belly landing anyway.

Ref the retracts, the way the gear goes up is via an angled pintle in the same manner as the Spitfire, and it'd require a special one-off gear mount to emulate this on a model, which is what Shane Harding did on his quite large turbine F1A. Another way would be to use the twist-tract system as on the Hangar 9 Hellcat and F4-U Corsair, with the twist and retract motions adjusted to suit. At least one could get away with using a standard retract mechanism, and years ago Chris Golds flew a twin Rossi .90-powered DF Lightning using this system.

I'm guessing that the battery is cooled via air drawn by the fan through the 3 slots just in front of the fan unit.

It's definitely a model to make you think WOW!!

I know the prices aren't the cheapest, but speaking to Jim about the production he told me that the Lightning takes 21 hrs of machine time per kit not including the 3D printed parts (radome/intake assy, nose ring, elevator pivot/mount and rear hatch cover) or the preparation of the brass/carbon parts.

As you say though Andy...Ouch!

totally understand & appreciate this ,

andy

• 2 years later...

Hi, your lightning looks awsome, im planing to build one to, but as i cant find any adiquite plans, im having to do it form scratch probably with the help of an airfix kit being maticulously measured. I see your plane is using 90mm i was hoping to go twin 90mm EDF from freewing, I was also hoping to add twin functonal afterburners like ones made on flite test. any tips?? specialy on wings control surfaces and body...

Thanks

Alex