EE Lightning F6 90mm EDF

pete taylor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FINALLY... the weather and opportunity came along together for some in flight photos.

There was a hiccup with the launch technique caused by the underfins catching the bungee dolly and not letting go! Sorted by rmoving said underfins!

Anyway, I'm pleases to be able to report that the Lightning is another pussycat to fly, albeit a formidable one.

With a thrust/weight ratio of better than 1:1 she performs in prototypical fashion and is deceptively quick.

Now it's back to the workshop to add afterburner lights, carry out a little mod to correct the scale appearance of the cockpit area (needs moving forward slightly) and do a proper repair on the nose section following the launch issues.

F6

F6

F6

F6

F6

Thanks Stuey. The last pic was taken while I was finding out if she'd go straight up from slow flight....She did! smiley

It's a prototype kit from Jim's Jets, milled from styrofoam (green stuff mainly) with laser cut wooden parts and vac formed canopy.

At 48" span and 67" long this one's a fairly impressive beasty!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks again for the kind words chaps. My second one is now progressing and will be flying by the time the clear skies and light, summer breezes arrive thinking

Rob, i'm sure that the Lightning will slope really well - she's certainly not heavily loaded, even with all the EDF gear inside. I'd hazard a guess that the flying weight without the power system would be below 2kg.

As for the Canberra.....PR9 pass

With all the wing area that the PR9 has, she can't fly anything but superbly!

The wing loading for my EDF version is a mere 16oz/sq ft

Posted by Denis Watkins on 21/03/2017 07:35:52:

The most spectacular of the jets Pete, if we all build one, we could do this

.16627464765_7c01eabf83_b.jpg

Great photo Denis. I've had some interesting info about it from a friend, Jim Gordon who kits the Lightning in this thread no less!

Anyway, this is what he has to say:

"Hi Pete
That is a very interesting photo as I think it is at Coltishall when an attempt was made to fly a big diamond 22 as its the only time I have ever seen that many taxying Lightnings. The photo is of the mk 1 and T4 line where pilots went first after fast jet training training on hunters after which they came to us on the T5 and T55 line for final conversion. One of the sorties the pilots on the T5 was to do a head on with another Lightning both in full reheat - frightening....If I am right the white building is the air electronics block. "

Fascinating stuff!

Edited By pete taylor on 21/03/2017 13:21:14

Edited By pete taylor on 21/03/2017 13:21:58

A little more info from Jim on the photo -

"If I am right this is taken at 226 OCU RAF Coltishall and shows Lightnings taxying out for an ill fated attempt to fly a big diamond 22, its the only time I can imagine that many taxying at the same time. Taken very late 60's it shows the 1's and 4's line. It was ill fated because fog descended over the airfield soon after take off resulting in a barrier engagement and the rest scattered far and wide in the UK and Europe."

I know the prices aren't the cheapest, but speaking to Jim about the production he told me that the Lightning takes 21 hrs of machine time per kit not including the 3D printed parts (radome/intake assy, nose ring, elevator pivot/mount and rear hatch cover) or the preparation of the brass/carbon parts.

As you say though Andy...Ouch!

Posted by lightning 759 on 21/03/2017 18:23:21:

Posted by pete taylor on 15/06/2016 15:17:54:

love the last picture typical lightning pose, , lovely to see a kit I thought then looked at the web page ouch to much for my budget crying never mind one day maybe , nice looking kits though

andy

F6

F6

F6

Posted by Rob Fairweather 1 on 21/03/2017 18:13:37:
Posted by pete taylor on 21/03/2017 14:03:25:

You can never have enough Cold War jets Rob wink

And to that end ( or thought) someone is going to get a phone call tomorrow ! And it will go in front of the Hunter build, ie next after the Wildthing 60.

And I thought I was bad...! wink 2