HL 400 gyro operation?

David Hall 9

Hi, sorry to ask newbie questions again, but I'm having problems setting up my HL400 gyro. It is not helped by the fact that I'm not entirely sure how it should work and if I want it to switch between the two modes (is that rate and tail lock?).

I am setting up my Flysky i6A radio for this and have a few switch assignment options that is giving me some confusion. Adding the possibility that I have one or two faulty units doesn't help.

I read that it works in two modes, a tail lock mode (same thing as heading hold, I think) and some other mode that is described as "rate" mode which may allow the tail to react with rotor torque. As a learner, would I want anything other than tail-lock?

How is it normally switched? (I can have it on a switch or as a programmed value in the menu system)

Advert

Gyros are normally switched between "tail lock" or "heading hold" mode and "rate" mode by a 2-position switch on the transmitter. If the signal from the transmitter is less than the equivalent of centre stick, the gyro will be in rate mode; and if it's more than the equivalent of centre stick, it'll be in heading hold mode. There are two other variables though:-

1. Some transmitters go from 0 to 100 for their stick positions, with 50 as the centre, and some go from -100 to +100 with 0 as their centre. You need to go into the menus on yours to see which it is, so that you can program the numbers so that one switch position is below centre, and the other is above.

2. In my limited experience it doesn't really matter how much you go below centre for rate mode, so on a 0-100 scale I choose around 40. But how far you go above centre does make a difference to the gyro's tail-holding stability -- too high and the tail will wag as it makes fine adjustments all the time. For heading hold I choose about 65 on the 0-100 scale. Try that and, if it's wagging, reduce the number slightly; if it's not stable enough, increase the number slightly.

Thanks Allan Bennett, That makes sense. One problem I have is that with the gyro plugged into ch4 and the servo plugged into the gyro, it will only work (that is the gyro "set" light will come on and the servo will follow the stick input) if the extra gyro lead is not plugged into ch5 (set as the gyro rate adjust channel). I have tried different ch5 setting with no change to the outcome). With the lead plugged in, it never lights the "set" led and will never operate the servo. Two units do this, although they could both be faulty, I do not know their history.

Oh wait a minute................it likes my other RX  (HKTR6A V2),  the Gyro goes to "SET" indication. There's something about my FS-iA6 RX or AFHDS 2A mode that this doesn't like.

Edited By David Hall 9 on 29/03/2016 19:32:22

Edited By David Hall 9 on 29/03/2016 19:33:17