finishing my BT 61.5 Corsair

Hey guys I've been putting my little cutter to work. I started out making paint masks from vinyle transfer tape but they didn't work great and anything more tacky than that starts to pull the paint off. So I actually did what I always do and just cut white vinyl for the insignia. I like the look. Now I'm a bit confused how to go forward. I need to make 6 rising sun markers and I don't think at the size they need to be that the knife won't just chew the hell out of the vinyl. I could always try to source some decals from the net but at 62 inch wingspan is she 1/8 scale? I know I could actually try to hand paint them. AAAAARGH!

Anyhow heres a couple pics

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

photos are from my phone and it's kind of old so they are a bit blurry. sorry guys. I can aford new models but not a new phone. Hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Trevor. Sorry I've taken so long to get back. Each flag is W=14mm H=9.

I've been trying to work on the cockpit and a couple other things but life seems to get in the way. I've been under the weather and I thought I'd just be able to crack on but no energy. I've been searching the web for ideas though. I'd come across the topflite 1/7 vacformed kit but A: it's pretty dear and B: it looks nothing like the Corsair cockpit. I'm also thinking of building it from depron so nice and light. SUre we will see. Back to it soon

• 1 month later...

Hey folks. SOrry I let this build thread go. I'm horrible at these but I thought I'd let you all know that She is almost done and has had her maiden flight and all.

I have to say it has been a real learning experience for me. Re tooling a model to accept retracts was hard along with all the minor deviations I made from the plan. This size is brilliant for me everything fits into the car and goes together so easy at the field. The take off was easy you just have to keep in mind that she requires right rudder to track straight and she climbs out nice and easy with a 16x8 3 blade prop. She's nice and smooth in the air and real easy to fly only requiring a bit of trim to flight straight and level. It's not overly fast though. Apparently she flies more scale speed than anything. I have since changed to an 18x8 2 blade prop and there is considerable more power and speed.

The first landing was slow and sweet even for a 9lb model with lipo.

All in all a great corsair and would deffinately suggest this model for anyone looking a 60 inch F4U Corsair kit. I could even help out with the files for my retract wing setup.

mycorsair1.jpg

mycorsair2.jpg

mycorsair3.jpg

maiden flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBDJPGjNFDM

Hey thanks guys. Nev when you do build the Corsair you’ll just love the lines in the sky. It I st looks great in the sky. You’ve got the retracts just build the wing. Then just build the rest! Look at me, it only took over 5 years. Lol. Concord are you building the 61 inch mustang? If so you’ll really enjoy the build. Mines made from Depron and it flys awesome. Sure Brian designs awesome planes. Yes we fly at an old air field. It’s a bit heat up and has weed issues but wee call it home. Although it seems that always be cold and breezy down there. I’ll post another’s video soon. Better quality. Happy landings.

Edited By Shane Sunday on 04/02/2018 07:15:58

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add an update and wish I had some photos and a video but unfortunately I don't. Further to what I've said before about Brian Taylor models being brilliant fliers and all that. I've had this one out and in the air I think more than ten times now. Obviously the more you fly a model the better you get to know it. I started out with a 3 blade 16 inch prop on my 460Kv motor and felt it was lacking in power. I then switched to a xoar 18x8 prop and there was much better power. I touched the tips upon landing and ruined that beautiful prop. It was a little too big. I've since switched to a 17x12E prop and that's the sweat spot! I've not got unlimited verticle but I'm able to do large loops and she has plenty of power and speed now. the speed is just right for this bird.

I lovingly call her Jessie after my grandmother. Anyhow. Today was perfect for flying calm breeze up and down the runway, sun was shining and I'd had the day off. the model will twist and turn if you want her to but I prefer to fly her steady and gracefully cut up the sky lazy eights, split S, rolls, loops and diving for the runway then peeling off and climbing out and make that approach again. Landings are real easy even in gusty weather too. My last landing had my heart racing. the wind picked up without warning and I had to fly her onto the runway but she took it and came home safely too.

One of the fellas from the club managed to get some in the air shots so once he gets those to me I'll post them.

• 4 weeks later...