finishing my BT 61.5 Corsair

Advert

Yes Rich I like to build with whatever is at hand. Honestly I prefer foam. I've had more damage to models made from balsa. I've finished up those servo boxes. Although I must learn to think things through a little more. Mind I don't think I would have thought of this unless I had made the mistake once before. My servos are not centered on the door and when I built the box bearers I built them the exact same size as the door. I offered up the finished article to the bearer and they are off. Not too big a deal really. Then there was the box assembly which was perfect, a little too perfect. I didn't take into acount the servo lead so some filing was in need. As well the balsa bearer along the rib is too close to allow free movement of the servo arm It will most likely rub. although this is an easy fix. So all in all a learning experience.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

and last but not least is the blue foam on the wing. This will also be covered and glassed but most likely I'll use CF cloth for it's strength.

image.jpg

I had the fuselage down to have a look at it. Everything matches up beautifully to the wing. I had meant to take a photo but I'll really have to get a move on cleaning the shed in order to join the two and get a good pic. Otherwise all you'll be seeing is my mess. That and it'll be handy to have more work space. So until those pins show up from Germany.

Another quick update. Sunday was spent at the airfield where I had my first experience with IC engines. Not too sure I'm down with the noisy oily contraptions but it was certainly different. There was about an hours worth of fiddling about trying to get the engine to run. After a couple flights with that I attached the wing to one of my electricc models, put in a fresh battery and I was off in ten mins time. The sound of the prop as she flew past was lovely. Hmmmm different strokes I guess. I was waiting for the Kavan pins to show up and they seemed to take for ever getting here. I don't like to wait but needs must. I needed the pins so I could skin the top surface of the wing. I'm sure these pins will prove invaluable on other builds but they were a must have on this crancked wing. I cut 2 more pieces of depron to size and pinned the larger one in place then added gorilla glue to the ribs. On the leading edge section of the wing I put the glue right ontop of the ribs and retract bracing.

Gorilla glue expands into all the cracks which was very helpful. The long taper of the Kavan pins makes it easier to penetrate the hard ribs not to mention my index finger. I only did that once but once was enough.

image.jpg

image.jpg

once the pins are removed I used a sharp box knife to trim off the excess glue.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

the shot above you can see how the glue expands into all the crevasses. It's a wonderful thing. Next is to get the wingtips on and sheet the bottom surface. Not before I tape a bit of string inside to rout the servo wires though. Did that once before too and learned my lesson. She's starting to stiffen up.

Thanks Rich. You dont really need much of it either. I've got a little bit done tonight. I glued the wing tips on this morning and started roughly shaping them in. I think it's called a David plane? Anyhow this thing rips through balsa in no time. Then this eve I laid the plan ove a 2mm sheet of depron and using a pin poked holes following the shape of the wing. 2 of these were cut and I tried to lay it in one piece per side. Alas, the shape of the wing percludes me from doing this withought warping the wing. So I cut it at rib no5 and started sheeting the bottom of the wing.

image.jpg

Lots and lots of pins.

image.jpg

Thats realy about it for tonight. So tomorrow before work ill yank all those pins out and see how things have stiffened up. Thill then

Perhaps someone who has built a corsair could help me with something? I cant seem to find an image that runs down the LE of the wing showing how sharp it is. I'm hoping that it's rather blunt as there is very little balsa on the LE to sand and make sharp. I've got the wing skinned, just shoring up a few bits before I start glassing. Pics to follow.

Hey folks. Theres an upside and down side to building witg depron. The upside at tge moment the wing weighs 1lb 6oz. Its unfinished and empty but I reckon thats pretty light for all the construction gone into it. The down side... as long as the depron is bare it's susceptible to dings scratches and tge like.

II've made a starr on the radiators. I've measured where Mr. Taylor has set them out but something doesn't look right. Also I had to check how tge wing measured up to the fuse so took her outside and got a few pics.

They seem to need to be edited. So ill load them shortly.

Sorry guys.

Thanks for looking in Dave. I have to remind myself that slow and steady wins the race. I've been plodding away at the belly pan. I've made it from blue foam cut using Hotwire and formers from Brian's plan. It worked great but I forgot to take into account the shape of the lower wing so one step forward and two back. I've also attached the wing and found a considerable gap near the LE between the fuse and the wing. It seems I wasn't much of a builder 5 years ago. So I've got to fill this gap but do I use balsa? Depron? Or an epoxy goop mixture. I think it was micro balloons? Unsure how to proceed. I do know I've got to get this wing glassed soon or else it'll mainly be light weight filler. 😉

Using the fuselage as reference I've blended the belly pan . there was additional space to be filled at tthe edge, this was done with a 6mm peice of depron and a 2mm peice as well. Also at the LE balsa was added to strengthen the wing seat. Then light filler was used to blend the radiators to the belly pan. This isnt going to be scale in any sense but it will still look like a corsair in the air I hope.

image.jpg

I just had to get the glass on the bottom. As ive said before depron has very little strength and dings easily. So 48gm glass was used for the bottom of the wing and 25 grm will be used for the top. I use an SP system 5:1 epoxy fast cure. I mixed up 50grms of epoxy for one side and using a playing card spread the epoxy over the wing making sure there were no dry spots. I picked this tip up from another forum and it works a treat. Repeated this step for the other side and left to set. I must be getting better at this stuff as next time i think ill use 30grms i had so much wastage.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ive also picked up the book Whistling death by Boone T Guyton. The test pilots story of the F4U Corsair. Its a fantastic read wonderful to read about the trials and tribulations that brought this bird to bear.

Hey guys. I've been pottering Way trying figure out the ailerons. didnt like the ones id made from depron and id found one of the originals id made from balsa years ago. So ive copiec that one using blue foam hotwire cut with a bit of LE stock and covered with 2mm depron. SORTED. Then life got in the way. We've had some brilliant weather and I managed to get out flying today. A bit windy but sure any chance will do. I have managed to steal a coiple moments here and there. The wing is glassed and ive made the oleo door, im just going for wheel wells in the wing so no retract doors, no extra actuators and no extra weight. I've got the retracts installed and they work brilliantly. I've to finish boxing in the wheel wells with some 1mm balsa. This is tricky with the bent wing you cant just roll it up and let it go. So its slow. I was thinking to finish with epoxy and cloth but I might try epoxy and light tissue.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This little door is made from 2 layers of heavy weight cloth and finished with 45gm cloth. Its flexible and light but the retract keeps it from sitting flush. Ill have to sort something out.

image.jpg

Going sparingly with with the CA here. I dont have the foam safe stuff.

image.jpg

and who wouldnt want a retract shot. I think i was trying to see exactly where the door sat. Well thats it for now.

It's me again folks. Been working on the door situation. it's a lot of setting up and watching it go then sitting back to look at it. I went in search of some hinges that apparently didn't exist in my shed so I decided I would make some. A little trick I picked up from one of Danny fenton's build threads. With the use of some litho plate and a paper clip. It works a treat as the door needs to bend over the retract yet be pulled flush towrds the trailing edge of the wing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is a shot of the balsa block and styrene tube that slides up and down the strut. It's all just rough and needs to be centered and finalized.

image.jpg

In the end I decided to finish the wheel wells with tissue and 30min epoxy. It doesn't need to be strong just needs to give a good surface to paint on. Waiting on some robart hinges to finish up the ailerons. Perhaps I can get this wing finalized within a week and get back to work on that fuselage.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Rich thank you. I saw your post a while ago but was quite busy. Im a bit embarrassed to say that the Corsair has been put back on the shelf. Two reasons really. 1 is that I'm this close to completing my BT 61 inch Mustang and I'd like another propeller driven aircraft to fly this season. The other reason is that we are going away for a month to Canada. So the Mustang should fly next sunday with any luck and the corsair build will recommence on my return in july. Thanks for watching guys.

• 6 months later...

OK it's Going on January but I have cleaned the building board ( ISH ) and the Corsair build has recomenced. I never liked the way I attempted the tail wheel before and I'm in the process of tearing it out and figureing out how it will be done. Pics to follow. So near the finish line. Time to get my finger out.

I hope everyone has had a safe and happy new year. 2016 has an awful lot to answer for and lets hope 2017 is much better.

ive started reworking the tail wheel. The last one was flimsy and chunky with a horrible application for controlling both the tail and rudder. My new idea will hopefully be sleeker, stronger, lighter and smoother opperation. Heres a couple pics so far.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted by Shane Sunday on 30/04/2016 21:44:01:

Thanks for looking in Dave. I have to remind myself that slow and steady wins the race. I've been plodding away at the belly pan. I've made it from blue foam cut using Hotwire and formers from Brian's plan. It worked great but I forgot to take into account the shape of the lower wing so one step forward and two back. I've also attached the wing and found a considerable gap near the LE between the fuse and the wing. It seems I wasn't much of a builder 5 years ago. So I've got to fill this gap but do I use balsa? Depron? Or an epoxy goop mixture. I think it was micro balloons? Unsure how to proceed. I do know I've got to get this wing glassed soon or else it'll mainly be light weight filler. 😉

Baby powder/talc works well for the goop and is cheap

thanks for looking in guys. Nev you should deffinately build one. I'f I can help I will. It's not the eaiest build in the world.

Onetener, I think the gap is a bit more than talc would be able to fill. I'll try and see first.

here are a couple pics of the tail wheel and rudder setup. I've switched form the clumsy bent wire idea I had years ago and opted for a pull pull system. I'm betting it works. Now I'm no Danny Fenton or John R so my work is stand back scale.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tell me about it.

Haven't got as far as getting the plan yet but it will probably be this one though. I like the size but couldn't face building it with fixed undercarriage.

I'll need to crib of your build and try and save some weight somewhere and the photos of the retract mounts will be usefull. So plenty of photos please, I will be watching.

It'll be a while yet as I have to clear the bench first but any good build threads you've come across, I'm all ears.

Nev.