where to go in the Eastern region

Hello everybody,

A friend of mine and I are considering to come over to the UK this summer, to do slope soaring. On YouTube there’s a lot of videos, made on really beautiful and exciting locations.

What would you recommend as a good slope to visit? We have some experience (North Sea dikes mainly). It MUST be possible to reach it by car (friend has some bad legs/cannot walk or climb far), not too difficult to land, and preferably somewhere in the Essex region (we come by car to Harwich).

Naze Cliffs still the only one in that region?

Other sites in the eastern region that fit the bill?

Thanks!

jan brilman

Netherlands

Advert

Jan, the East of England is a bit like the Netherlands....... ie. flat! sad There are a few small slopes and cliffs but really they are not good. The nearest GOOD slopes are on the South Downs, say from Eastbourne Westwards. The South Downs are very beautiful, there are slopes for most wind directions and you can drive to the top of many of the hills. There is an excellent website........ http://www.slopehunter.co.uk/ on which you will find details of slope soaring sites all over the country. Enjoy your hoilday.......smile

Fair winds and happy landings!

Paul

Edited By Paul Jefferies on 07/04/2016 12:37:49

Old Hunstanton cliffs are supposed to be good in the right wind direction, otherwise it is a case of heading inland to Ivinghoe Beacon or Honey Hill, at the bottom of the A14. I recently discovered the joys of sloping, but live in Cambridge, so I can only reiterate how frustrating the flatlands are!