DX7 Heli version Flt Mode switch and flap settings

Karl West

Dear All,

Hopefully I can get an answer to my query here. I have a venerable DX7 (not DX7s) and I am trying to set up the flaps on my Nijhuis Lysander. Both flaps are working from a Y lead and are in the same orientation (ie the output drives both face the same wingtip) I am running separate servos for the ailerons and have programmed the radio with Flaperons (not sure if this is the right way to go or not) and am using an AR610-X rx. This rx has the normal 4 channels with only GEAR and AUX1 additionals so I want to run the second aileron servo via AUX 1 and the flaps via the GEAR channel. The slightly complicating factor is that the radio I have is the heli version, ie it doesn’t have a 3 position switch on the front top panel marked FLAPS, it has a 3 position switch on the top left marked FLT MODE. When I say heli version I am aware of the way to change between HELI and ACRO within the software menu, it is the hardware switch difference that I am referring to.

So my query is, how do I get that FLT MODE 3 position switch to work as a flap switch? Do I have to get a mix programmed in and if so how? I have seen some postings referencing how to do this, but not with a heli version. I would be grateful if anyone has a step by step guide that I (ie an idiot!) can follow to do this. I have seen from some forums that the radio is exactly the same between versions just the switch layout and nomenclature is different, hence this query. I’d like to think that this is the case as outside of this it is my preferred radio (and then at least I wont have to look at buying another radio sad)

Any and all advice appreciated.

Edited By Karl West on 20/04/2016 12:03:41

Advert

Hi Karl,

I'm not familiar with that particular DX7 but I've been having a look at the manual and p43 describes the 'Input Select', with more in the Heli setup section on pages 78 and 79. I don't know if you have a channel input option as on later Spekky Txs but you might want to run through the input options to see if that might work?

Pete

ps Have a look at this thread over on RCG where Codimasta posts a method of manually mixing the ailerons for 2 servo use and has flaps on the 3 pos switch - seems it can only be done when Flaperons are not selected.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 20/04/2016 15:07:00

Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the thread on RCG and it describes setting the model with separate servos for ailerons and flaps whereas I am using flaps via a Y lead. However I will try setting it up as Codimasta describes but substituting the dual flaps for a single lead plugged into GEAR channel. One thing that may hinder this is that going through the available switch allocations menu on the Heli version it doesn't provide the option to allocate the Flt Mode/ 3 Pos switch to a function. 2 Pos, yep, Aux 1, yep and Rocker, yep but nowhere do I get an option to assign/map the 3 Pos switch. Still more investigation required this evening methinks. Also sent an email to HH service department, although not expecting a swift response (if any) on that one!

Thanks again.

K

Karl - I have a model with the same servo layout and am using the same original DX7 Heli version. The only way I got this to work was to have both the ailerons and flaps on Y leads and Flaperons, V-tail and Delta all set to OFF. Channel 6 will show as FLAP on the monitor screen and the 3 position switch will operate that channel. Ailerons plugged into the AIL channel (2) and flaps into FLAP channel (6) and all works OK.

David,

That's positive news that you got it working with a similar version Tx and I will try your solution if it turns out that I cant have ailerons on separate channels (not a major issue, its just how its wired at the moment, + haven't got a spare Y lead around at the mo either.......tho easily fixed!) I will go this route if I get nowhere with the present set up. I'll have a go tonight and report back. Thanks