How much does covering and paint weigh?

mightypeesh

Well I can tell you.......

Whilst working on my Dr1 I thought I would do a sample board to

a; Make sure the colours were right, and

b; To see how much covering painting and fuel proofing actually weighs. I know - I need to get a life!

fokkerdr1_5.jpg

_mg_1493 (2).jpg

The board like the airframe was first treated to a coat of Balsaloc, covered in Solartex, a strip of 'stitching' added, given three light coats of System3 acrylic paint as well as washes and then finished with a decent coat of KlassKote to fuel proof it. The board is 10cm square so I have X100 it to give grams per square meter. Obviously the Balsaloc would be less on the model due to the open frame aspects of it. The 'stitching' is as a linear meter, and it was weighed on my jewellery scales after each application had dried.

Drum roll.....................

The results are per square meter are;

• Balsaloc 16g
  • Solartex 84g
  • Paint - first wash 6g
  • paint - camoflage coat 19g
  • paint - blue coat and wash 10g
  • KlassKote 22g

Giving a total of 157g which I really thought was going to be higher especially with the the KlassKote.

Oh and the stiching is a whole 4g per meter.

The finished article

fokkerdr1_2.jpg

I am sure this ground breaking and highly scientific is going to be of interest to somebody somewhere.

I myself am going for a lay down in a darkened room until I calm down after such excitement and get my pulse back on track.

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 23/04/2016 14:39:51

Advert

Very interesting indeed. I for one am greatful for all the work you have done to get to these results. I wonder what percentage of the AUW the covering and paint etc would be. I only asked as I was rubbish at maths LoL. Thanks Simon

Edited By fly boy3 on 23/04/2016 21:20:15