Easy Built PBY Catalina a 20 year wait is over

Robert Parker

Hi All,

Sorry for being quiet on this thread but I'm still awaiting for the decals to arrive.

So this morning I have run the motors with my watt meter connected and weighed the model.

Weight: 3 1/2lbs. achieved target weight

Max Current Draw: 9.85 Amps

I was unable to do a static thrust test

Props used GWS 7 x 4 these are the largest diameter props I can fit without striking the fuselage I have 6mm clearance.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 29/10/2016 12:45:14

Advert

Hi All,

The decals have arrived and been applied, looking good now.

I took another look at the props and they looked a little on the slim side, so having a spare pair of GWS 8 x 4 props to hand, I cut these down so they would fit and re-balanced them. They look far more meatier than the 7 X 4 props, I noticed from my last posting I made a slight typo and the clearance gap was 16mm not 6mm. Which has now reduced to 3mm. I reduced the props by about 6mm or so, prop size is now 7 3/4 x 4.

Over the weekend I'll try the watt meter again and have a photo shoot wife and weather permitting.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 03/11/2016 19:59:17

Hi All,

As promised here are a couple of photos of the finished model, albeit a rushed moment.

dsc09066.jpg

dsc09067.jpg

Straight from the Airfix kit.

Thanks to Tim from Model Markings for the decals.

What I haven't shown is how close the prop tips are to the fus and each other.

Now to sort out the fitting of the cables inside the fuselage there seems a lot of cables, aileron, throttles and power they all need some slack to allow assembly and sort out the CoG

Just run the motors with the watt meter attached and she pulled just under 16amps and a noticable increase in thrust.

Then the maiden flight

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 05/11/2016 16:06:35

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

A Happy New Year to you all.

I have not forgotton about the Catalina, I did maiden a couple of planes in November and had intended to try the Catalina next.

However, other things got in the way plus the rush up to Christmas and then just before Christmas I had an operation on my shoulder so now I'm out of action for a couple of months but I do hope to be back in flying condition again by the end of Feb, then watch the weather turn.

Regards

Robert

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Just to say that I'm on the mend from my operation which has taken longer than I had anticipated.

I have checked the CoG, she balanced nicely just had to move the battery pack back a little. All control movements working correctly, although there is no indication on the drawings or instructions as regard to throws amounts, so I have set them up as high and low rates and used +60% exponential. Basically, I have used high rates for maximum throw and low rates set at half the maximum as a starting point.

So just a range check and some decent weather and there is no excuse not to maiden her.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am a very happy chap today. I flew the Catalina finally after 20+ years my wait finally came to an end smileysmiley

Despite poor weather early this morning with mist and low cloud my initial thoughts were no flying today. However, by 10am the sun was coming out so I pack my gear and planes and went to the patch.

I did not have the best of starts, my RCV 58 fitted in my Astro Hog failed to run which normally starts fairly easily and after 1/2 hour I called it a day with that. My Wellington flew barley but it flew.

Time for the Catalina, assembled and range checked all good.

dsc09490.jpg

I took her out on the patch which being waterlogged and covered in moss and sat her on the moss.

I opened the throttles and she started moving a wingtip dragging on the floor which after a bit and masses of rudder came up, then she hit something and did a 360. So I took her back to the end of the runway and tried again and the same happened again. Third attempt same start with the wing tip on the ground and after what seemed an eternity of opposite throws on the rudder she left the ground a bit of a hairy moment until the airspeed built up and she climbed to a height of around 70 feet and I did several circuits. I had adjusted the elevator trim full up and was still holding in around half a stick of up. The rudder is very effective, thankfully as the ailerons are not.

dsc09520.jpg

A sight that must have brought dread to any U boat or relief to a downed pilot.

What a sight,

dsc09528.jpg

dsc09542.jpg

dsc09558.jpg

dsc09580.jpg

dsc09586.jpg

dsc09594.jpg

And down all safe and sound.

Many thanks to my fellow club member Ian who took the photos.

next alter the trims and try her again.

I loved flying her

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Thanks D.D.

This was one I had to build again and it was well worth the wait to see her flying today.

20 years......

My next maiden has been sitting in the attic since I built it for at least 10 years, I have just been checking it over and updating the RX and servos thought it would be just a case of fit RX and battery and ready but things turned out differently.

Regards

Robert

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Since the maiden flight I bought myself a programming card and checked the ESC's and noticed that the timing was set to Low so I adjusted them to medium and what a difference it has made.

A lot more power and she can actually gain height and fly on half throttle making her a lot more pleasant to fly.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 5 months later...