LED's

Morning guys.

In a few weeks I'll be picking up this 48" span F4 PSS model and considering fitting some scale navigation led's.

Having never fitted these before can anyone advise me on how and what I need. I want them to be bright enough to be seen clearly in daylight.

Thank you guys

092.jpg

Advert

Hi Phil. Getting lights ( LED or filament style ) bright enough to be seen in daylight is challenging, and usually requires a bit of relaxation on scale size. "Power" leds are the way to go, but despite them being cooler than filament lamps, they still generate a lot of concentrated heat, so bear that in mind too. Powering them is fairly easy as long as bear in mind the two main things.

1) Unlike filament lamps, LEDs are polarity concious so must be connected correctly.

2) Excess current is baaaaad - as with many electronic devices, its not the voltage that killes them its the current.

Current limiting resistors are used in series with the diodes to limit the maximum current and this will vary with voltage. You can run them off almost any voltage above 1.5, but limiting resistors MUST be used.

I normally run mine off a 2 or 3s Li-Po fitting resistors as required. Ultra bright LEDs will use a fair bit of power, so dont run them off your main flight pack, unless you intend them to be on for only very brief periods.

Braincube and others supply complete solutions if you dont fancy building up your own looms etc.

Several palces now also sell rc switches which can be used on a spare channel to switch the lights on and off

Edited By Tim Mackey on 12/05/2016 11:11:46