Chip Chopper

About 35 years ago I built and flew a device called a Chip Chopper, a plan from one of the magazines. It was a strip of balsa sanded to an airfoil, with a Cox 0.20? on one end facing forwards and an angled biplane type structure on the other. It had a hole at the point of balance reinforced with a plywood washer and was launched from a nail on a wooden post! Completely free flight.

The engine was started and it rotated faster and faster until it rose (hopefully) into the sky until the fuel ran out. It was best to stand well back. Not very H&S friendly. As there are now powerful brushless motors and light lipos I thought I would try to make another. (It might be simpler to use a well over stressed brushed motor to save the weight of an ESC.) Does anyone else remember this and even better still have the plan?

Advert

• 3 months later...

Hi Richard

The one's I saw were glow not electric.  If you have a look on youtube there are one or two examples on there.  These do have a higher second aerofoil than the ones I've at the Nats.  In addition they appear to have a counter weight coming off the main aerofoil at 90 degrees, again those at the Nats did not have this feature.

Good luck with your home design, would you be willing to share the plans if it works?