MFA Skyhawk by Model Flight Accessories

Leighton Richardson

• 1 month later...

I had one of these back in the day when I was learning to fly. It was my second model following on from a Precedent Hiboy.

IIRC it was a 48" span Cessna type high wing trainer for .25 motors. It had a 'plastic fus' and foam wings. It looked Ok back then but any damage to the fus' was a PITB to fix specially with my limited knowledge back then.

I flew mine with an OS 25FSR with 9x6 prop up the front and it proved to be an adequate model/engine combination. I have to confess I used it for one season then stripped out anything useful and consigned it to the bin. I did go on to cut the wing, remove the dihedral rejoin the wing and stick it on top of an own design balsa hot dogger ( back in the day) which I named the zipper. Its second life proved to be much more exhilarating. When fitted with an OS 40 FSR the sphincter pucker factor was off the chart.

As regards its worth today being quite so dated I guess you might get back what it cost to buy originally which again IIRC was around £25, although I'm inclined to agree with Percy's contention that it aint gonna be much.

VC

The MFA Skyhawk is a better flyer than its small size and fibreglass fuselage might lead one to believe. I bought one secondhand with a plain bearing OS20, and flew it for quite a while until it went in hard (battery failure if I remember correctly).

Hopefully someone will take a mould off the fibreglass fuselage, so others could be built from it.

Here's piccy of one, for any young whippersnappers who've never heard of it:

• 3 years later...

Alan, you will need to remind me what the Sperber looks like. My gut feeling says T-Tail and about 100" span but I could be way out.

Here's a Spearfish lurking under some fairly dodgy looking additional superstructure, and a rather inflated price (They normally seem to sell for £70 to £100 looking at completed items). MFA Spearfish

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 03/04/2020 01:07:56

The Spearfish looks interesting if not a little expensive. The Sperber was a T tail at 74” span. The wing tapered by 1” to the tip with a 1” forward sweep. I have a kit plan but not details of wing ribs, formers or fuselage width and when I built the original kit I was too green to make templates for further use.

Thank you for your response

Alan