Help with the EE Lightning

Advert

As above AUW required - but whatrever it comes out at...you will need a high KV ( say 2500 or more ) and a small diameter high pitch prop for speed.

Aim for at least 100 -150 watts per pound of AUW so on 3s you need a motor prop combo which will pull ....on say ,,,,, a 2lb model  25 -30 A which would be 250 - 300 watts.

hi ive build the lightning and used the rec...moter setup the first flight it seemed quite slower than i expected so i might up the up the motor and speed controller mine came out 1oz more the the plan build weight all up its great fun to fly .......mark

Hi Yellowred....I'm building one too & have this motor lined up for it here. Its a 2700kv motor & pulls about 23A on an APC 5x4.3 so around 230 Watts which should put a smile on its face. It doesn't half scream too.....I've not actually measured the rpm it gets to but it must be well over 20,000!!!!

The motor they sent out is actually a golden coloured Turnigy unit & I think I'm right in saying these are the same as BRC sell under the Wasp name...(I might be wrong.....I'm sure someone will correct me if I am) so if you want to buy from the UK try here which I think is the same motor as mine. Or as someone else mentioned use the "recommened" set up from Tony...here

I've not flown it yet so can't be definitive on the performance but something tells me it won't be hanging around........

Do you have any thoughts on the battery cooling? Since it's shoved right up front there's no way any air can get to it to cool things down.....on a 2200 battery we're only running at 10C so things shouldn't get too warm but I'm wondering about cutting an unobtrusive slot under the nose cone to get some airflow around the battery....any thoughts anyone???

Thanks Guys

Steve, Thanks i think the 2750kv sounds like it wont hang about, so its gonna be the one

As for the cooling..well i have had a couple of lipo's puff up in my HET hornet..they got quiet hot, so with that in mind i think a small hole to get some air in with the batts cant do any harm can it

I have a reward mounted motor on an ESTES canard plane and extended the motor wires by about 5 inches, I didn't twist them or do anything fancy. Note downhole pumps in oil wells (over 8,000 ft) use the cables set paralled as there isn't room to twist them, not ideal. But at our lengths I don't think it will make any difference.

• 5 months later...
Hi 

I know this is a pretty old thread but I finally got to fly my example on the weekend .

I flew it in a uncovered state so the all up weight at this stage is 21.5 ounces , this is mainly due to my slightly lighter than recommended setup .

It was quite a handfull on maiden untill I managed to trim it out , with a 1950 rpm/v outrunner spinning a 6*5,5 prop I guess its not quite as fast as it would have been with a inrunner but its still plenty fast for me !

As it flies really nicely I will finish it and hope to come out with a final weight of 23 ounces

Hi SA.....glad to hear you got your lightning off the ground....when I tested mine it was very glitchy & I had to dump it. The damage was slight & its now repaired but I haven't had the chance or courage to fly it since.......I've swapped the ESC & Rx around & it seems OK now.....fingers crossed!!!!!

Can I just ask a couple of questions......are you using 35Mhz...is it OK? If so where have you put the Rx & ESC...as per the plan? Did you find the control movements OK...in my brief flight I found them a bit sluggish but then I do like a touchy model......

Mine weighs 25oz & has a 2700kv motor so it should be very entertaining!!!!!