Blade 400 3D

Simon Robinson

Hi all, I hope someone could help me if you own a Blade 400 3D.

I bought a new Blade 400 3D from Sussex Model Centre on Saturday and charged the battery up over night. This morning I set it up and followed the instructions on how to check the flying controls etc... I took it outside to start it up and follow as normal turn the controller on and then plug the flight battery in. I leave it to sort itself out for 20 seconds and then applied power (collective) and the blades judded and then smoke appared. The electronic speed control caught on fire and has totally brunt out. I quickly lowered the collective and disconnect the battery and put the fire out.  I am not happy after spending £270 and I will be phoning Sussex Model Centre first thing in the morning to why and if they can replace the helicopter. Can anyone help and tell me why this could have happen? Did I do something wrong which I believe I didn't? Or could this just be a faulty product?

Si.

hi Simon i have a B400 no probs with it there are afew stories on some American forums of this happening due to faulty manufacturing faults. but Horizon hobbies seem to sort them out no probs. the one i bought s/hand was a replacement for 2 faulty servos which caused the original to crash. the guy i bought it off said Horizon replaced it without question. good luck Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I phone Sussex model Centre today and they asked me to bring it in. The person who I spoke to has never heard of this happening so I will search the web later to see what I can find. Hopefully they will replace it and I can get on with it, but they want to replace the damage burnt parts then I might have to wait and I wouldn't be too happy with that. I knew that it much have been a fault of some type as I followed the instructions.

Regards

Si

one thing I can say, Sussex Model Centre are great at customer service,i had an issue with something I bought from them, a Solaris 3D crashlanded in teh ceiling of my lounge,and was probably more my fault than the helis, but was asked to send it back and it was returned to me 3 days later fully sorted and ready to fly, plus phone calls from them to ensure all was right with repaired model. Awesome service.

Hi Simon.

Don't let it put you of, these things happen from time to time. I have Herd of this sort of thing happening on the odd occasion and it is dew to the very small parts used, not you, and these things are working very hard all the time and if the smallest thing changes they fail.

good luck Owen.  

Thanks Owen, I took it back to Sussex Model Centre today and they changed it for me. They were a bit stumped when they saw the damage and they are going to send it back to their supplier. It hasn't put me off, its that I just spent under £300 pounds and had the 1st and a good chance to have a quick flight when it happen. I have set the new Blade 400 up but the wind is too strong today and I am away on a course for the next two weeks. Just have to wait for a good bit of weather but I think its worth it.

Si

Hi Kevin.

I think the only way to stop hells costing money is to use them as dust collectors and this is not what its all about so I guess we will all have to take our chances flying them as safely as possible and with luck on our side we will try to keep them in the air.

happy hovering Owen.