Playboy Senior build

Djay

After the success of the Super Kaos and with plenty of time on my hands, along with a large pile of wood I decided to build a vintage model next.

I always liked the look of the old pylon wing mounted models from the 1940's, and I wanted one with a large wingspan, so I downloaded the plan for a Playboy Senior, at 80 inch wingspan but small fuse took my eye.

So let the build begin.

Plan downloaded and taped together, 12 inch ruler at top of plan.

20160801_113223 (copy).jpg

paper templates cutout

20160801_203302 (copy).jpg

ribs made

20160802_142958 (copy).jpg

20160802_145200 (copy).jpg

Darryl

Edited By Djay on 02/09/2016 10:12:52

Advert

the wingspan is 80 inches but very short fuselage.

Covered in solartex and powered by an OS 26 fourstroke with a 10x6 prop.

radio is Futaba 3 channel 35 mhz. C of G is 55% back from wing L/E.

U/c is a temp one as the piano wire is to thin and very wobbly as I had no 1/8 or 5/32 wire to make it.

Build time was aprox 2 weeks as I was doing other projects in-between.

The test flight went superb.

The engine burst into life first time and idled well, the take off run was a bit wobbly on the flimsy u/c but it lifted off in a few meters and climbed gracefully upwards with practically no trim changes.

The rudder and elevator authoritie was quite strong but she flew gracefully and straight, just puttering around at less than half throttle. Engine/prop combination is perfect for this model.

Landing was a non event just walking pace to the ground with a blip of throttle to flatten out and a few feet roll out.

After adding some expo I carried out a another 2 flights that were mostly free flight with the very occasional input from the t/x required.

Very pleasant and satisfying to fly, a very low stress a/c to fly. No changes at all are required and I will just put a brace between the u/c legs to stiffen them, but to be honest if it had square blocks instead of wheels it would just lift off vertical and land vertical with no forward speed.

Now what to build next?

Darryl

Edited By Djay on 02/09/2016 10:12:10

Gonzo is correct.

The plan was downloaded from outerzone and is the 80 inch version.

If you download adobe acrobat reader it gives you the option to print as a poster, and it then prints the plan full size as tiles on A4 paper which you have to stick together.

Darryl

• 1 year later...

Hello Giuseppa.

sorry for the late reply.

I used close loop on the rudder as it is so simple to install, just a couple thin plastic tubes as the outlets glued into the fuse.

tailwheel is fixed, but you do not need it as it is not on the ground long enough.

Wing mount was made a little deeper inside the fuse and the fuse cross members made deeper to give more fixing area, a few triangular braces on the inside stopped any wobble.

Darryl