Fuel tank size for 26cc petrol engine

Clive Moore

I'm building a 1/4 scale super cub and have a modern 26cc petrol engine for it. I'm at the stage of fitting a fuel tank and want to get decent flight duration (15 to 20 Min's).

Does anyone know what size tank I need to fit to get this duration? or is there a formula to work it out?

Any help much appreciated. 

Advert

Hi Clive,

As you know, petrol engines are more fuel efficient than glows but as for duration, I've no idea. Do the plans for your Cub specify a tank size? If it was intended for a glow engine then you should expect considerably longer run-times with the petrol job.

Not much help I know, maybe someone out there will come up with the relevant sums!

HI Doug,

Unfortunately the plan only shows the tank position and not any size info. The plan is quite old and the intended power plant was a 120 four stroke. As I prefer petrol (cleaner) and have a 26cc petrol engine on the shelf I decided to go with petrol.

I've got a large biplane that flies on a 150 Laser with a 16oz tank and that gives me about 12 Min's with a bit left over for safety so given the 150 is around 26cc then I guess petrol being less thirsty a 14 oz tank should do the job.

Guess I'll just have to try it and see

Thanks for your reply , much appreciated.

Clive

• 1 year later...
Hi Clive and all,

I have just found your request and as the date has passed I was hoping you might be able to help me.
I have gained a 1/4 scale tri pacer. The engine is a super tiger 2000. I have yet to fit radio gear or rod etc. but I have the following questionss.

What size tank did you go for?
Did you require a pump?
Servos which ones did you use?
The air frame is almost complete by sopme one else and covered. i do have to work out how to fit the blind bolt fittings for the wing though as these appear to have forgotten in  the build ( Dooh) and a servo access for 1 wing (the other wing has the access point for flaps and ailerons?? )
Cheers

Gaz