Tony Ninjus Lysander electric set up

Advert

I would like to hear from someone who's flown one successfully with any sort of power. I don't think it's one of Tony's best designs from what I hear. The Lysander is one of my favourite aeroplanes and I'd be tempted to build one if there was a good chance of success.

Geoff

PS there's a suggested power train here at 4 Max.

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 17/10/2016 22:24:25

Yes Geoff, the Lysander is one of my favourite aircraft. Ibecameclose to this when I wrote a trilogy of articles for .model Works (as I remember). I built for review a charger model which was part foam I.e. turtle deck etc. I was lucky enough to make contact with Sir Hugh Verify, who was prominent with SOE. Sadly Sir Hugh died the day of the test flight, his obituary was in the Telegraph. I may be preaching to the converted, but a really good read and available in most Libraries is, We landed by Moonlight by Sir Hugh Verify. Best regards. Potty Flyer

I built the Lysander, and powered it with an AXI 2826/12 motor, 12" vario 3-blade prop (I'm not sure what pitch, but probably around 5" ), and 5S A123 battery. That gave me 450 watts for what turned out to be a 5lb 15oz model, including battery.

I built a sloping battery box, as you can see in this picture, to get the battery as far forward as possible, and to mount the motor in the correct position. I cut a hatch in the cowl for access. Still needed some lead in the cowl, but the model flies well.

Lysander battery bay ...

Edited By Allan Bennett on 18/10/2016 19:52:37

I've never flown my Lysander on 4S LiPo, but my experience with my Magnatilla is that 4S LiPo is equivalent to 5S A123. My Magnatilla uses either, with the same motor as my Lysander and a 12x6 prop for A123 and an 11x7 for LiPo, each giving almost exactly the same watts. Flight duration increases by 60% with LiPo because I use 4S 3300mAh to be the same weight as the A123.

I still use my A123s because I can keep them fully charged, ready for spur-of-the-moment flights.

Thank you Allan, perhaps you would give me some idea of general flight times with your set up. The other question I have is: Having built and flown this 48inch span model, would you assess it as a good flyer, or is it heavy and a poor flyer. The Lysander is known for its STOL capability, is this list, or is it indeed at 5 3/4 lbs, scale like? I really would approve your thoughts

Thank you Allan, perhaps you would give me some idea of general flight times with your set up. The other question I have is: Having built and flown this 48inch span model, would you assess it as a good flyer, or is it heavy and a poor flyer. The Lysander is known for its STOL capability, is this list, or is it indeed at 5 3/4 lbs, scale like? I really would approve your thoughts

I have my timer set for 6 minutes when using the 5S A123 pack. Based on my experience with my Magnatilla, I would expect to be able to go for 9 or 10 minutes if using a 4S LiPo the same weight as my A123 -- i.e. about 3300mAh, depending on brand.

The model I'm talking about is 66" span -- I didn't know Tony had done a smaller one.

As for flying, my model is quite good in my opinion. I don't let it slow down too much though, because I'm scared of provoking wingtip stall, which is a known trait of models with tapered wings. So I haven't explored its short landing capability, but take off is very short though.