Help with GWS A10

Well My prize arrived this morning. Was addressed to Number 18 rather than 19 so my neighbour brought it round. I have looked through the box and at the instructions and I have a lot of bits to buy to get it in the air.

2 X EDF fans I am thinking of GWS EDF55s. Does anyone know what motor spindle diameter they need?

2 X Brushless inrunners to suit above. Looking at purple power but would prefer somthing a little cheaper fr

Advert

well cant comment directly as I have never used them, and ike to reserve criticsm or praise only for items that I have actually had experience of. I guess at £10 a pop, they are worth a go, but ensure youtake time to balance them as well as possible before use. I take it that you will also need the intake rings /lips for the tankbuster layout.

One thing that bothers me a bit with the motors you linked to is the power / current consumption. These are VERY high Kv motors and will possibly be pulling close on 25A and with a twin setup, thats potentially 50A !!

I think thats way too much for a small GWS foamy - go for a lower Kv and then your battery and ESC can be smaller and lighter. Just my .02P worth

PS - I thought the kit came complete with fans and motors included ?? maybe this one didnt. Incidentally the purple power set is not thta badly priced TBH it includes an ESC with each motor remeber.

• 1 month later...

Bruce

I have a GWS A10, it came with fan units and motors, however GWS sell the A10 as just the body painted and unpainted too, sounds like you got that kit.

Even though my kit came with the fan units and motors the motors were not brushless and there are a lot of reviews online about under power from can motors installed in this model. With this in mind I dumped the cans and went for brushless right away but kept the fan units. I have used Walkeran helecopter inrunners with a 60amp ESC on a 3cell 1500mah lipo and the performance is stunning. Loads of thrust and once up you can pull back on the power to save the lipo as she flies well at slow speed.

I have just stripped out the 35mhz radio gear and gone over to 2.4gig so just waiting for a good weather day to fly.

Steve

• 8 months later...
I have almost finished the A10 now. I have tried 2 different brushless motors and ended up with these and GWS 55mm fans. I also tried the 4800Kv variant of these motors but they were too fast and pulled too much current. I now have 300W on a 25oz air frame, should go OK.

Edited By Bruce Richards on 14/05/2009 14:20:12

• 2 weeks later...
Maidened the A10 yesterday. First flight belly flop straight into the ground despite full up elevator. Both fan pods snapped off. Glued them back with some 5 Min epoxy. Second attempt with more elevator throw. It flew but used up all the up trim and had to hold in about half stick up to keep it in the air. Then on a slow low pass I ran out off up stick and it flopped into some long grass. Wing mounting pulled out tail snapped and elevator servo come adrift. Not sure if the servo was the cause or result of the crash.

Tried again today after some changes. fixed up all the broken bits and set up trim with some up elevator when the Tx trim natural. Also moved the battery back  10-15mm. It flew a treat lots of power when needed and nice low slow passes. Could do with more movement on the ailerons but no trim changes needed to fly straight and level.

David can you send me a nice pristine one so that I can move my gear over now I have a working set up and a scruffy model?

Edited By Bruce Richards on 25/05/2009 16:28:49