prop testing

Following Tim's advice on pre-testing before flying any thing eletric I cobbled together a test rig versatile enough to test most things.
http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33097/test_rig_2_0.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33097/test_rig_5_0.jpg

I purchased numerous props of differing sizes and makes and set about coming up with the best combination for current and thrust. I did find that although the testing is paramount for ensuring you don't burn out your electrics the differing props and thrust obtained was not making sense. I found the best power to current ratio was obtained using a master screw nylon which is intended for glow engine use. This leads me to believe the light thin props for electric must be changing contour under load. This is probably due to holding the model stationary while testing. I cant of course measure slip so as to the best prop to use I guess the only true test is to fly it.

Advert

The problem with static testing is that it will not give you any idea how the model will actually fly. The prop that will you the best static thrust might not move the model fast enough to actually take off. It will find the prop that gives the most static thrust, of course. But the best prop to match your engine/airframe/flying? Sadly, no. You will have to take a wide selection of props to the field and fly the things.

Evan.