Hanger Monkey build pics

Nigel Waller 1

Advert

• 7 months later...

Hi Mike, I am also building Hanger Monkey. I've not done anything like this for over 40 years. This one appealed as it is so much like the models from the KK catalogues from the early 60s. It is all coming back to me but I am struggling with the dihedral. It indicates on the plan that the 20mm for each wing panel is under the LE at the tip rib, should this not be under the main spar at the tip rib.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graham, sorry I just picked this up. The dihedral notation has confused a few people. You are correct that the best place for the packing is under the spar at the tip rib. Also the notation should read 20mm under just one tip although the flying characteristics wouldn't be noticeably different if you did it under both.

Good luck with the build and let us know how you get on.

Mike

• 5 months later...

My Hanger Monkey build is progressing nicely. The wing is complete and the fuselage is nearly ready for covering.

Looking forward I need a canopy. I looked on Vortex Vacform's site and thought either the Aero Wat or the North American Mustang could be made to fit. Can anyone confirm or offer better suggestions.

Graham

Graham, I looked on the Vortex site and thought the Acro Wot canopy looked promising. As an alternative you could just fit a screen and have an open cockpit as some others have done. For info I'm in the process of fitting floats to the original. I'm going to see if monkeys can swim smiley.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike

Barry Hall here from Wellington, New Zealand. We used to know a Mike Bell here in NZ back in the 1970's and wondering if its that same nutter who lived in Hawker Str and spent many hours propping up local bars all over Wellington. He also worked for Continental Cars and drove a Fiat 500 Bambina and Fiat 132 it might before heading back to England with his polish partner/wife. If its the same, would love to hear from you Mike.

I got back into flying after 35yrs back 18mths ago

Cheers

Barry

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike, Geoff Brown from Essex. I am about to start a HM build. I have an Irvine 60 engine with a Weston silencer on it. I have scaled up the plan 15% to accommodate the larger engine. I will make my own fibre glass cowl. I wanted to ask how important is the 3 degree offset of the engine thrust line, only if it's not critical I won't build it in. Cheers Geoff.

Hi Mike, Geoff Brown from Essex,l was very inspired by the Hanger monkey design,it's got a real classic form. I am going to build a 15% larger version with an Irvine 60 engine. I see that it has a 3 degree offset of the thrust line please can you advise,is this very important as I would rather do it on the transmitter trim. I get my canopies from Pegasus models if this is helpful for other builders. Cheers Geoff

Hi Geoff, I can't really answer your question definitively as I have never flown the plane without the side thrust. However I am pretty sure that trying to achieve the same effect on the trims is likely to be a bit of a compromise. With zero side thrust you can expect the plane to pull to one side in vertical manoeuvres. If you put in rudder trim to counter this you could end up with the plane crabbing in level flight. Some planes are more affected than others and it depends on how fussy you are about accuracy of tracking but I would recommend sticking with the side thrust.

Either way please report back on how the big monkey flies.

Mike