Diesel Crackdown

ted hughes

Advert

Improvements to the theoretical thermal efficiency of most, if not (I cannot think of an exception) can be improved by a number measures, the most obvious is temperature difference between the high and low within the cycle and pressure differences within the cycle.

For many years engine researchers have examined the possibilities of using ceramics etc, to allow higher operating temperatures at the high end. Also effort has gone into achieving higher pressures within the cycle. I have been lead to believe that is where the turbo chargers and the need to inject the fuel at ever higher pressure and fine gas/vapour has been the driver.

I remain convinced that the real problem is less particulate, rather than anti private vehicle groups and some of the conservationists, just latch onto one issue after another. Their focus constantly seeking a world moulded into their ideal image, than keeping the issues in perspective. I assume (again because this is what I have been lead to believe) that nano particle problem can be solved (that is to theoretically/medically acceptable limits), their attention will probably switch to petrol cars.

No doubt air transport will also become a major issue for pressure groups. Nirvana will only be achieved when we all eat cabbage and oats, living in unheated homes, or alternatively air conditioned less.