How to set up a CCPM heli?

Allan Bennett

After successfully switching several of my fixed-wing models, and one quad, from Futaba to Taranis, (with help from this forum) I now want to do my T-Rex 500 flybarred heli. I've printed out the article entitled "CCPM for Taranis" and followed its instructions as far as they go, but it starts out with "I assume you have a model that has elevator, aileron, and collective programmed." without saying how they should be programmed frown In fact I don't understand what they mean by that sentence, for the article itself goes through the input settings.

Needless to say that, having programmed the Heli, Inputs, and Mixes tabs exactly as the article says, simulation shows that elevator, aileron, and CH6 servos are not responding to throttle/collective stick input or, indeed, to any stick input.

So does anyone have a really basic step-by-step guide for programming a CCPM flybarred heli in Taranis please?

Hi Allan. Unfortunately CCPM helis are an acknowledged weakness in OpenTX - they really need a wizard coded for setting them up, but since no-one on the Dev team are heli guys it has never happened.

I think the answer to your question about "I assume you have a model that has elevator, aileron, and collective programmed" is available on the OpenTXU page on CCPM. Take a look at the top of the page; their quick list for the impatient(!) step 1 is "Program Ail, Ele and Col independent of mixing (-100 to +100)". I take that to mean you just need to set up single lines on your mixer screen for each of these functions to start with. Try that then follow their instructions through and you will probably be ok.

I also suggest you take a look at this CCPM setup on RCSettings - it may help.

Edited By MattyB on 20/02/2017 13:20:01

More useful links for reference from the bottom of that OpenTXU page on CCPM...

Edited By MattyB on 20/02/2017 13:19:01

Thanks Matt. I started out by going to the wizard in OpenTX Companion, but the heli option is greyed out, just fixed wing and quad available, which I've already managed to program without resorting to the wizard.  I suppose most people use flybarless controllers these days, so the developers either haven't got flybarred experience, or they think there is not the demand to make it worthwhile.

OpenTXU is where I got my printout, and their statement in Step 1 seems to be at odds with the screens they show later when they go into detail, where inputs and mixes are both more involved than I infer from "Program ... independent of mixing...".

But your second link looks like it might be exactly what I need. l'll take a look at that this evening, and if it does the basics I'm quite happy to modify it to suit my needs.

Edit in response to your second post:  Thanks for those other links.  Seems like I might have given up too soon on the OpenTXU web site!

Edited By Allan Bennett on 20/02/2017 13:35:04

Thank you for that link Andy48. Seemingly I'm not much good at devising search phrases, for I used the Search function in this forum (don't remember what I typed in) and got nothing, and the same with Google. I was about to cheat and use the .eepe file from one of MattyB's links above, but now I'll follow this "How To ..." and, hopefully, learn from it as I go along.