Fly fly scale gliders

Thinking of going for one of the Flyfly range of scale 4m gliders, eg, LS8. This is a means to get something in the air quickly whilst building a Charlsworth Grunau Baby.

As I have no knowledge of these models I'm looking for comments from the wider audience. There was a very favourable write up of the Duo Discus in RCM&E last year which has caught my interest.

Thanks.

Advert

I'd say the bigger ones are better. The Salto and to some extent the ASW28 will bite when slowed up too much - I think they lack any washout at the tips. I also modified my Salto to have flaps inboard of the ailerons, as the roll rate was woeful without them, and she is easier to slow up for landing now too.

Thanks Andy, I am looking at the larger scale models, 4 metre is really the bench mark for good soaring ability and scale effect. Ideally if someone came along with a Teakle Pik 20 or similar that was flyable with minimum shed time I'd be interested having owned some of PT's models in the past. I hear what you say regards washout, the Salto is known for tip stalling if slowed up too much, of course the full size had trailing edge rotating air brakes, I put these on PT fifith scale version and it would almost stop dead in the air. Your comment are appreciated.