Burrough Hill, Leicestershire

Tony Kenny

Hi All,

I visited the hill this afternoon with my wife. The wind was from the East and a lot stronger than I'm used to flying in, ... so, up we went! There was no lift but plenty of experience to be gained.

Although I spent most of my time waiting for people to walk by so i could launch, I had 3 great flights and 2 good landings. The final landing saw by biggest mistake which was to try and turn just a few feet of the ground which culminated in a nose down landing, a busted wing and a muddy nose!

So, I learned 2 important lessons today:

1) The plane being too far to walk to is NOT a good enough reason to abort a landing
2) Trying to turn down wind just a few feet of the ground with naff all air speed is NOT a good way to abort a landing!

The other thing I saw today was how much my wings flexed, especially in high speed loops! So not sure if the wing damage was from the landing or the high speed turns.

Still, had a fantastic time, but next time, I'll go without the wife!

• 1 month later...

Thanks again everybody for the help and encouragement. I got on the slope today and met a new buddy who showed me the ropes and taught me a few things. Something I love about this hobby is the comradery,

I've got the soaring bug and I'll be seen a lot more often at Burrough Hill. Now if only I can crack those pesky landings!

Posted by Tony Kenny on 11/06/2017 16:32:16:

Thanks again everybody for the help and encouragement. I got on the slope today and met a new buddy who showed me the ropes and taught me a few things. Something I love about this hobby is the comradery,

I've got the soaring bug and I'll be seen a lot more often at Burrough Hill. Now if only I can crack those pesky landings!

Glad I didnt put you off at the same time. Shows that even those who have been flying for years can get it wrong. Its part and parcel of the sport though.

You did really well considering the wind was gusting up to 30 mph. The landings will come with time and Sunday certainly wasnt the best day to try to "crack" those pesky landings, not with the wind that strong. Hope to see you up there again soon mate.

• 4 months later...

Wow! This forum takes me back over 40 years.

I was stationed at RAFWittering until 1976 and flew at Borough Hill fairly often.

The pictures do not do it justice from what I remember, and now you have to pay for parking?

I will be back in the UK next year for a short time and hope to go and see the hill again.

I was a (founding) member of the Rutland R/C Flyers back in the 70s, does anyone know if it is still functioning at RAF North Luffenham?

Iain

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...