Staybrite silver-bearing solder, an economical UK equivalent

In one of my threads I've described building some U/C components using a silver-bearing solder, much stronger than soft tin/lead solder, and excellent on piano wire because it works so well but at only around 220C, so the wire is relatively unaffected.

The original Staybrite was, I think, an american product, still available, and also from Australia, but with heavy shipping costs involved.

Readers of my thread wanted to know where to buy it, so I've copied below my thread entry giving details of a couple of economical UK suppliers. I thought it worth listing as a separate subject.

Ref. silver-bearing solder suppliers:-

Staybrite is shipped from Australia and carries a £20 shipping charge, many others come from the USA and likewise cost a lot to ship. THAT was the problem I came up against after reading about Staybrite and trying to find it. My current solder is U.K. sourced, either free delivery or £0.99, highly preferable !

Anyway, I've just had a terrible time trying to rediscover my two suppliers on eBay. All sensible references to 'silver-bearing' etc got me nowhere, but I finally struck gold, in a silver sense.

If you go to Ebay enter the search title 'soft wire lead free' and up will pop a few suppliers. One of them, mr. bead, offers a 3 metre length of 1mm dia solder for £4.99. It is type 96S meaning 96% tin and 4% silver, with a melting point of 221C. This is what I have been using.

My second supplier is h.m.comp. You'll see them on the same screen. their product is 95% tin, 4% silver, 1% copper, melting point 217C. I haven't used it yet so can't comment, but don't suppose it will perform much differently. He is offering 3 for 2.

Hope this helps, we all need to operate as economically as possible, don't we ?

Regards,

Ken

Advert