Castor Oil

ChrisH

Off topic, but many many years ago, when my son first started kart racing, we were in a category where the motors were modified 5.5hp industrial engines (ours was a Honda GX160). We were getting around 18bhp at up to 8000rpm and the oil we used (on an old hands advice) was Castrol R30.

Now of course, I thought I knew better, so carefully flushed out all traces of the caster based oil and fitted some Mobil 1 Racing synthetic liquid engineering.thumbs up

Result?

Two laps and a sudden catastrophic seizure of the big end and the rod exiting the motor at about a gazillion mph. The bits didn't half go high!!! thumbs down

Rebuilt motor, back to the R30 and no further trouble (well, oil related anyway).

Later when running 2 stroke karts, our engine tuner absolutely INSISTED that we use caster based oil at 16:1 in the premix. As we were routinely running these motors up to 22,000 rpm, I didn't argue!!smile o

Kim

Advert

Well done Kim for putting us 'straight' on the use of different lubricants. I have found that it is always best to use the fuel that the engine manufacturers tell you to use and not to be sidetracked by forums. For more information try the 'Just engines' website.

Cool runs.

DW

That was the whole point of Castrol 'R' for use in racing and other high performance engines. I always used to use Castor oil BP from the chemist's shop. I was recently told that it was over refined and should have only used first pressed virgin oil.I never had any probs at 18% with it . But I doubt Castrol used Castor oil B P although they did have Castrol BP brand IIRC Makes one wonder even though it stood for British Petroleum So what oil should I use now Castor oil BP or first pressing ? Tongue somewhat in cheek BTW if first pressing should I filter it first.

John

That was the whole point of Castrol 'R' for use in racing and other high performance engines. I always used to use Castor oil BP from the chemist's shop. I was recently told that it was over refined and should have only used first pressed virgin oil.I never had any probs at 18% with it . But I doubt Castrol used Castor oil B P although they did have Castrol BP brand IIRC Makes one wonder even though it stood for British Petroleum So what oil should I use now Castor oil BP or first pressing ? Tongue somewhat in cheek BTW if first pressing should I filter it first.

John