May Issue feedback

David,

I'm probably a typical "born again modeller" in his forties who has returned to RC flying having packed my daughter off to university - and the ARTF-Electric flight combo means I can actually find the time and space to build and fly the things.

My apprenticeship was served from the mid 1970s taking the traditional route of Free-flight, Control Line ( I had minor competition success as a combat flyer) and finally RC - slope soaring and power. The attractions of women, playing in punk rock bands, followed by the responsibilities of marriage and raising a family halted activities for many years. But there was always WH Smith... I could never resist the urge to tuck an RC magazine in my briefcase - now laptop bag at airports and stations when travelling for work.

I now subscribe to RCM&E and pick up most of the others to fill in the gaps - and here's what has struck me about the content.

Very little has changed in terms of content or format over 30 years or so. It consists of all the usual suspects - product reviews, regular columnists for each of the main modelling theme areas, occasional series about certain techniques and subject areas etc. I'll be the first to admit that I find most of this invaluable. I do feel, however, that you may be missing an opportunity. The world always moves on. Many interest magazines abandoned the "product - specification - how it works" route many years ago - motoring magazines are a prime example of this. Their content is somehow more emotional, often based on personalities and stylised - not just focusing on technical stuff.

So - here's a few ideas:
Celebrity Modellers: TV presenter Vernon Kay is a keen RC flyer. I read this in OK magazine. Why not interview him?
Superstar Flyers: My daughter looks through the mag and ridicules all the fat middle aged men who adorn the pages. Then she spotted the guy with the Stuka and dreadlocks. He doesn't fit the mould? What's his story? There must be an interview or story there.
Stories behind the models: Many of the large impressive show models demand huge resources - in terms of money, commitment and emotion. What was the motivation to build them? What impact did it have on your life and those around you? What were the highs and lows? What personal demons did you have to banish?
Globalisation and Corporate Social Responsibility: The China dimension must be worth looking at. Let's walk the supply chain. How do these glossy ARTFs get designed and built? What's the impact on the local economy and for the individual? What is it like for a UK model shop? Let's look at the economics of modelling here and abroad.

As an example - the BBC showed an 1 hour documentary about those involved in pigeon racing. It was superb. It had three intertwining stories that dealt with the personal lives of those involved. One guy was a professional who earned a fortune from training other people's birds. Another was caring for his wife who had Altzeimer's. The last guy spent £14,000 earmarked for his new kitchen on a few pigeons at an auction. It was funny, moving and inspirational all at the same time. Now - RC modelling has a similar "anorak" following - there must be a stack of ideas we could bring into the mix.

I appreciate that there is a reason for your current content - it sells magazines and attracts the advertising revenue. But surely there must be room - maybe every quarter or so - to try something different?

What do you think? I do a lot of writing in my job - so I'm willing to help out and develop these ideas further.

Kind regards,

Marc Humphries

Advert

Thanks Marc, lot's of good ideas there, If there's something you want to do then please give me a call for a chat 01689 899259, it would be great to speak.

We've approached many celebrities/famous folks who fly over the years but securing that all important interview is pretty elusive. When you stop to think about it, OK magazine operates on a huge budget/resources - The UK R/C industry just really isn't in the same league. Probably the only way to get an interview would be through a friend of a friend..so if you know anyone..?

Anyhow, yes thanks, I agree with some of your points and would love to hear from you.

Thanks for your thoughts

David.