Multiplex Wingstabi , Hitec Rx, Windoze 10 usb faff. Again.

Not loving Windoze 10 64-bit . USB implementation in this seems to be quite busted. Never mind. Here's what I need to achieve, so then it be over to you, folks !

1. How to physically connect the Wingstabi to a Hitec Optima 7? Cable from data port on Rx to "in" on Wingstabi unit? And is it then just a matter of plugging servos into the requisite channel outputs on the Wingstabi box to appropiate servos?

2.Anyone have any luck getting the MPX launcher to connect to PC via automatic or com5 mpx port as called out on the drop-down on the MPX launcher screen at top-left ?

3. Why is this kind of thing so blasted difficult? I have big issues with W 10 and USB on other pieces of kit, not just model stuff. Worst was DJI assistant for multicopters.

4. Do I need to take more beer with it ?

5. There is a connection port on the Wingstabi with some icon , looks like "MSB". Not called out in the booklet for the Winstabi , which is not tres informatif, mon ami . Any ideas?

6. Bring back XP !

Enough for now, already.

Thanks in advance for any advice or  info , sage or otherwise. Even if it's "Take more beer with it" . Happy to oblige.

Edited By nigel fatbloke on 20/07/2017 09:45:54

Edited By nigel fatbloke on 20/07/2017 09:46:29

Edited By nigel fatbloke on 20/07/2017 09:47:59

Advert

Posted by nigel fatbloke on 20/07/2017 09:43:33:

Not loving Windoze 10 64-bit . USB implementation in this seems to be quite busted. Never mind. Here's what I need to achieve, so then it be over to you, folks !

1. How to physically connect the Wingstabi to a Hitec Optima 7? Cable from data port on Rx to "in" on Wingstabi unit? And is it then just a matter of plugging servos into the requisite channel outputs on the Wingstabi box to appropiate servos?

Yes, but only after you have configured the Wingstabi to the Hitec serial data protocol S Bus I believe for Hitec, you need to check if you need to do anything on the Optima Rx for it to output SBus, then set the input channels (i.e. what channel the tx is using for ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps, throttle, gyro phase, gyro gain retracts etc etc) and set up the output channels on the wingstabi, i.e. left and right ailerons, flaps etc etc. Note the inputs (transmitter outputs) for aileron, flap, rudder and elevator should be one channel each and these can then output to multiple channels (dual ailerons, flaps, elevators etc) on the wingstabi and the outputs don't need to be the same as the inputs. e.g. you can tell the wingstabi that aileron input is channel 9 from the Tx and aileron servo connections are channel 3 and 4 on the wingstabi.

2.Anyone have any luck getting the MPX launcher to connect to PC via automatic or com5 mpx port as called out on the drop-down on the MPX launcher screen at top-left ?

Yes works fine for me, you need to have the wingstabi powered up from a Rx power supply, it doesn't get it from the USB lead, also your Rx should be powered from the wingstabi not the other way round, i.e. power is connected to the wingstabi. Check with your Optima if it can receive power from the data link of if it needs a separate power input. I have a the MPX M Link wingstabi and it connects up automatically in MPX launcher on my Win 10 computer

3. Why is this kind of thing so blasted difficult? I have big issues with W 10 and USB on other pieces of kit, not just model stuff. Worst was DJI assistant for multicopters.

Mine does work OK, but I have heard of others having problems with Win 10 USB drivers

4. Do I need to take more beer with it ?

I find 10 year old malt works best wink

5. There is a connection port on the Wingstabi with some icon , looks like "MSB". Not called out in the booklet for the Winstabi , which is not tres informatif, mon ami . Any ideas?

The MSB connection is a carry over from the M Link version, it stands for Multiplex Sensor Bus which is where you connect your Multiplex telemetry sensors, maybe Multiplex have left it in for a future upgrade to allow their telemetry sensors to be used when connected to other manufacturers receivers

6. Bring back XP !

Enough for now, already.

Thanks in advance for any advice or info , sage or otherwise. Even if it's "Take more beer with it" . Happy to oblige.

Edited By nigel fatbloke on 20/07/2017 09:45:54

Nigel see answers above, any problems PM me your phone number and I can give you a call to discuss. I've set up 2 M Link wingstabis so far and am fairly impressed. But it is a very flexible unit so there are plenty of options.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 20/07/2017 14:24:10

Nigel, I've just read up on the Hitec receivers and it looks like the only receiver in their line up that outputs the serial data link (S Bus) is the Optima SL, all the other receivers don't appear to have this feature. Without a serial link the Wingstabi won't work and to connect to your Optima 7 you need one that can take the PPM servo connections directly from the aileron, elevator and rudder ports on the optima 7 receiver, e.g. Multiplex G3 gyro or Powerbox iGyro 3e.

Blast it all!

Looks like the Wingstabi will go back in the box , unless a Optima SL will play with it. Will do a bit more digging around and find out if a Rx change to a SL will work ,MPX have responded and hinted that it is the way to go . The only way with Hitec , it seems. Will have to wait until after the weekend now as I have my hands more than full with a family medical crisis . Just wot I need . Thanks, Frank , for the quick response , some good nuggets of "gen" in same.