Flying field is a bit wet

Yep, our club is now accepting berthage for submarines after over a months winter rainfall in 12-18 hours!

There are/were 2 shipping containers under water 14-15 feet deep, hope they haven't floated off their foundations. (One has before). Our cable drum/tables are probably 10kms out to sea by now.

The nearby Taieri River went from a low flow of 30 cumecs to over 2000 in 6 hours flooding the lower Taieri flood ponding area, where our club is located. Some equipment has been lost - BBQ etc.

Won't be flying for a while and the grass will grow like mad come spring. Not for the first time this happened due to our location.

PV,

Thanks for the information, the Windermere 'Splash-in' for the 23-24th of September is mentioned in the August issue of the BMFA news.

Of course I would be only too pleased to visit the other locations you mentioned but only Holker Hall and Levens Hall appear wife friendly ?. In fact my sister-in-law was a guide at Holker Hall and she often lumbered my retired twin brother Pete with car park duties there on special occasions. However I will do my best to visit all the places especially the steam railway.

Not so close to Dunedin, I know, but I have very soggy memories of New Zealand from a trip there in 2014. We walked the Milford Track in Fiordland National Park. I have never been so wet from rain in all my life. They can have up to 8000 mm (yes, 8 metres) of rainfall annually in certain areas, apparently.

But it was worth every step - the scenery was absolutely outstanding!