Mr Hawes' Fling Wing

GeeW

Advert

Hi Grasshopper,

I bought a canopy from Vortex-vacforms and thought the same as you. I decided to make a paper mache copy of the canopy and used this as my first attempt. Once you have cut the shape, you need  to squeeze the ends together as shown below. I also had to add a bit of balsa on the top of the nose as the curve on the canopy didn't fit. Not to sure if this was my cutting or the canopy shape........ Hopefully the pictures below give you a guide.

Cheers, Rob.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/lobtronics/100_1361.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/lobtronics/100_1362.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/lobtronics/100_1363.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/lobtronics/100_1364.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/lobtronics/100_1369.jpg

Rob,

thanks for the feedback and the exc. pics. Yes, it was the width which threw me. I had 2 delivered (don't ask why!) so cut one roughly to try to fit it and found it was just much too wide. Knowing that you have made yours fit - and well, I will try with the other one. If that fails then its a Depron carving job I guess.

I have added carbon strips to the fin and wing as I feel certain this will be one to ding, hopefully not on its first flight. I broke the fuselage near the tail on my Easy Glider pro - 3 times - before I got the hang of that and I now have a couple of carbon strips down the length of the fuselage to hold it all together

Thanks again, Grasshopper

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, this one stings!

Maiden flight, still day, no one around, underhand launch on full power and ZAP, instant corkscrew left and into the hay. In the air about 2 seconds I would say.

Nothing broken apart from the prop thanks to CF strips on the wings and rudder. Now waiting for 4 new props at the local model shop out here in Brittany. Next time I plan to reduce the control throws although saying that I did not even have the time to get my hands on the sticks before it went in.

Watch this space.

Hi Nigel, Ive built my Fling and flown it 7 times but never managed to land it yet! it glitched and crashed; I fitted a better receiver and then I've spun and crashed it when trying to fly too slowly.Its a tough little thing, so far I've only managed to break props (6of) thanks to the long grass around our club field. The Fling certainly generates a lot of interest and my instructor Graham is going to build one also.,in the meantime I shall strive to complete a flight, I should add that I am an RC pilot of 13 months on the wrong side of 60 ,not as quick possibly as I need to be, but I'm enjoying the challenge. 

Well I have made one to, I just weighed it and its 285 grams less the lipo, is this about the correct weight ? I have used the recommended motor and it got a 6.3 x 4 prop, I am going to use a 3 cell 800 mah lipo, just playing with it and its pulling down a lot I am a bit doughtful, anyway its worth a try, just need a good day for it now, I must say it looks different , I have made a shorter canopy out of built up balsa scooped out on the inside I don't think this will make a difference.
http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/34277/DSC_0039_1024x768.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
After a considerable break from flying, I recently dug out my surviving glider (30+ years old and still ok) I happened to pick up the November issue of RCM&E and read the 2nd part of the fling-wing review. Trying to get hold of the 1st part seems a bit of a problem but hey presto I found this forum section. Glad I did as it really enforced my plans to have a go at it. I'll keep you guys posted re the progress

Hi Peter,

I had the same thoughts after a break of 20 years or so from Middle Phase etc. I now recently have bought an Easy Glider Pro which is excellent in almost every way and copes well with the interminable Brittany breeze!

The Fling was a different matter as you will see from my post above. I wish you luck !!

• 2 weeks later...

As today was still, I took the fling wing out for its maiden flight. Thank goodness for heather!

The plane had the following running gear; Motor Max CF2812, battery 2S 860mAh, a 9 x 3.5 prop and weighs around 300g. Elevator travel +8mm -5mm, Ailerons travel +10mm -5mm.

Conditions were wind free over a gentle heather covered common area. The first attempt in lauching ended with a violent flick to inverted and landing in the heather. I decided to reduce the throttle on the next lauch and dial in a bit of trim to counteract the roll. On the fifth attempt she took to the air!  She looks great Nigel!

To my astonishment/surprise I forgot to open the throttle to full as she followed the profile of the slope to the bottom. Just in time, opening the throttle resulted in a climb out and suficient height was gained to explore the performance.

She flies with a reasonable turn of speed. The ailerons were fine. I could turn and roll sharply. The elevator seemed curiosly ineffective, so much so that I found that height (up and down) was mainly adjusted with the throttle! Attempted loops turned into stall turns/wing overs.

Landing was a case of reducing height over the heather until she flicked in a low speed. (I think my speed was too low) 

Unfortunately, I only have one battery so only one flight to report on. If I can sort out the elevator I think she will be fine.

If Nigel Hawes is reading this,  maybe you could be so kind as to give me your thoughts? I have a gap of about 3mm between the elevons and wings. I used hinges with pins (see photo below). Should I tape this up? Could this be causing the inactive elevator? Also do you think a 9 x 3.5 prop is too large? I guess the excessive torque at the launch causes my probelms. Finally how critical is the balance point. I may be slightly nose heavy.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/lobtronics/flingwing10.jpg

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Fortunately Steve hargreaves directed me to the thread so I could reply - its been too busy to follow since the arrival of my baby son four weeks ago!

The balance point on this model is EXTREMELY critical; 3mm can be the difference between excellent flight characteristics and an unmanageable model.

The elevator problem does sound like C of G but the gap won't help - for the work involved it might be an ifea to tape them up but apply the tape with full down on each side so it doesn't restrict the downwards movement.

After criticism that my designs always followed a "safe" formula it's interesting that I release a more challenging design and everyone gets different results! Two of my friends made them, one flies superbly, the other is awful. I think it's all down to build accuracy and set-up whether the Fliing Wing you build flies well or not.

Don't worry about the 9" prop, mine uses an 8.5" prop and I simply launch it at half throttle.

Nigel Hawes.

PS - Top job with the finish, Rob!

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the reply and congratulations on the new arrival!

I re read your artical (October RCM&E) and you do mention problems with the COG too far forward.  It was quite strange flying something that had no elavator authority.

I'll tape up the gaps and report back when I next go flying. It may be a few weeks or so.

Cheers,
Rob. 

Congratulations on the arrival of your son. You have no idea how much your life will change but may be you are getting an inkling by now. I have just completed my Fling wing and showed it off at the club. Lot's of interest and since I am just a trainee it would be too much plane for me at this point but the experienced fast flyers were intrigued and I have no end of volunteers to maiden it when the snow melts. I don't think it would work indoors!  We just got three inches of snow but it's melting. If we do some winter flying I may try it on the snow.

Jack Higgins

Toronto.

• 1 month later...
Hi Nigel,

Below are some flying shots taken from a video camera. She looks good it the air! Quite enjoyable to fly to!

Photobucket

However, you need to be careful not to slow her up too much or open the throttle without care. Either seems to send her into a vicious spin and dive. Two out of three times she hit the deck. The first was into heather and the second into the ground. Straight as an arrow she imbedded the prop adapter into the ground. Damage on both occasions was just the prop. The airframe is so light you have to be quite unlucky to break it. I flew it the time it hit the heather but someone else was at the controls when it landed in the ground. On both occasions neither of us could get out of the spin. 

Any clues on reducing the chances of the spin? Also what's the cheapest props you know of?

cheers,
Rob.

Another Fling Wing flies - in OZ!

G'day, just thought I'd check in with a a pic of my Fling Wing. I've just posted a small report on it in RC Groups so I won't retype it all here.

I will say that I think this model will prove to be alot of fun to fly. Mine certainly isn't for beginners though, seems to be a bit of a handful. Now I just need to add some extra colour to the bottom to aid with orientation. It certainly is unique and looks different in the air to the traditional 'tailed' models I'm used to. Quirky as she is, I think she's very attractive.

A quick note for Nigel and all the RCM&E staff. Thank you so much for the inclusion of plans such as this one. I especially like the fact that this one is designed to be built on a budget. I'm lucky enough to have started in RC building from balsa and I want to continue this way (though I will confess to a couple of foamys). Plans such as this one mean I can keep my RC budget down and have a load of fun doing it. Keep up the good work. I wish we had a magazine in Australia as good as RCM&E, I like to see what products are available locally, however nothing meets the standard of the articles and journalism in RCM&E. I've got my newsagent keeping one behind the counter for me each month.

Cheers,
Aidan.