Where to Cut printed Balsa sheets

I have a few free flight kits by Keil Kraft, Guillow and West Wings etc.

Some are die cut sheets and some are printed.

With regards to printed balsa sheets where do you cut? outside the line, the middle or inside the line to ensure correct scale and that retrospective parts fit correctly.

Thanks in advance 

Tom

Advert

On the KK kits especially, I would copy the parts onto some better quality (indoor quality if you are really flush!) balsa & keep the kit intact. This has a number of benefits-it preserves the value of the kits which are getting rare now, you can build another later from the patterns, repair parts are then easy to make & the resulting model will be lighter, stronger & fly better.

Cut to the outside line & sand/trim parts to fit the plan & other parts. Use a VERY sharp scalpel for all those stringer notches

Throw away the KK prop & use a larger (8"?) diameter, I think the West Wings props are OK. Also use some better rubber (assuming you are not going to electrify/CO2 them) The KK kits simply will not fly on the supplied rubber/prop combination, but with the above mods & some patience can be made to fly very well.