Taranis Plus - when to upgrade firmware

John Armstrong 2

I have just bought a second hand Taranis Plus. The firmware is currently 2.0.9. My question is should I upgrade the firmware first before I go any further and if so what to install? Do I go to 2.1 or 2.2? If I go to 2.2 do I have to install 2.1 first?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Also any traps I need to be wary of?

Many thanks

John A

Advert

As far as I'm aware John, there's no NEED to upgrade f/w unless there's a function you require that isn't available using your current fw.

(Stands by to be shot to ribbons!)

I'm still running my original Taranis with what I believe is the original fw, changing all of my receivers to suit without any problems.

If it was me (I have a Taranis 2.1 and Horus 2.2) I would upgrade to opentx 2.2. Doesn't affect the receivers but you need to decide whether to install EU LBT or World wide (FCC) again I would install FCC, receivers need to match EU LBT or FCC.

Reason is quite simple you are starting from scratch and this is the best time to upgrade.

You can go straight to opentx 2.2.

Edited By Attilio Rausse on 05/08/2017 13:18:35

John,

A fool rushes in .........

Firstly, there are two separate "firmwares" on the Taranis. There's the firmware for the actual signal transmitting side of things and then there is the "operating system" to interact with the user, provide all those clever Taranis features and store same, before handing over to the "transmitter" to transmit. These two "firmwares" are not the same thing and come from two different sources, but, sadly, their version number systems are very similar and so things can get confusing.

The transmitting firmware ("the firmware" is downloadable from Frsky. Your version 2.0.9 has been updated to v2.1.6. Easy ..... except in the process, rc manufacturers have had to accomodate a new European standard, by law. It's fair to say that Frsky took two goes to get this right and much forum traffic was created in the process. Do yourself a favour just skip this historical grief! The latest v2.1.6 (referred to, in its EU version, as "EU LBT" works fine. I assume you are in the UK.

So, tin soldiers etc, you might decide to leave things as they are. Problem! If you want to buy new receivers, those sold today, in the UK, will be to the EU LBT condition (not quite true ... but!). So, update. Problem! Your old receivers might need their firmware updating, as a consequence. Just more work - and a cable.

On the Operating System side, this is downloadable from OpenTx. The latest is, indeed, v2.2.0. I can't see any reason why you shouldn't, after updating the firmware, go straight to this. One gotcha I know about is the fact that the sound files are generally version dependent. You need v2.2.0 sound files for the latest version.

The only other gotcha to be aware of is most stuff on t'internet will now be out of date, and/or not the complete story. Even my stuff, above, will only be 80% due to ignorance or a desire to keep things simple. That notwithstanding, several thousand prople will have made the transition without issue.

XK50

Posted by pete taylor on 05/08/2017 13:02:53:

As far as I'm aware John, there's no NEED to upgrade f/w unless there's a function you require that isn't available using your current fw.

(Stands by to be shot to ribbons!)

Yes there certainly is a need to upgrade.

Between 2.0 and 2.1 the whole telemetry system changed so any models you set up now on 2.0 will need changing to the new telemetry. This includes basic stuff such as RSSI which you will need.

Between 2.1 and 2.2 the way the model files are saved on the computer also changed, and while these are automatically converted, it will still be necessary to check each model.

Also as Attilio says, I would also update to EU LBT firmware which is provided by FrSky.

Finally, is there any reason NOT to update to the latest? There's certainly none I know about, and its an easy job if done through the Companion.

Posted by Andy48 on 05/08/2017 13:24:28:
Posted by pete taylor on 05/08/2017 13:02:53:

Yes there certainly is a need to upgrade.

Finally, is there any reason NOT to update to the latest? There's certainly none I know about, and its an easy job if done through the Companion.

I knew it! I'll get back from whence I came.

Perhaps I've unwittingly upgraded at some point as telemetry works fine as does the RSSI feedback.

The reason not to is rooted in the old adage "if it aint broke..." and tales of "bricked " transmitters caused by well meaning fiddling.

Anyway....

John, if it were me, particularly with second hand equipment, I'd set the RF firmware on both the Tx and all RX's to the latest EU firmware (assuming you're in the EU).
This is because it's impossible to check what's installed now and it may just have the unsatisfactory "first try" EU firmware.

I'd also upgrade OpenTx on the transmitter to 2.2. That way you learn the latest ways of doing things right from the off.

Posted by pete taylor on 05/08/2017 13:

The reason not to is rooted in the old adage "if it aint broke..." and tales of "bricked " transmitters caused by well meaning fiddling.

Upgrading does not cause a "bricked" transmitter, only uploading the firmware for the wrong transmitter, and this is easily overcome by re-installing the firmware for the correct transmitter.

Posted by XK50 on 05/08/2017 13:20:52:

John,

A fool rushes in .........

Firstly, there are two separate "firmwares" on the Taranis. There's the firmware for the actual signal transmitting side of things and then there is the "operating system" to interact with the user, provide all those clever Taranis features and store same, before handing over to the "transmitter" to transmit. These two "firmwares" are not the same thing and come from two different sources, but, sadly, their version number systems are very similar and so things can get confusing.

The transmitting firmware ("the firmware" is downloadable from Frsky. Your version 2.0.9 has been updated to v2.1.6. Easy ..... except in the process, rc manufacturers have had to accomodate a new European standard, by law. It's fair to say that Frsky took two goes to get this right and much forum traffic was created in the process. Do yourself a favour just skip this historical grief! The latest v2.1.6 (referred to, in its EU version, as "EU LBT" works fine. I assume you are in the UK.

Actually there are three pieces of firmware, you are forgetting the Bootloader.

You are also confusing the FrSky firmware and the OpenTX firmware.

v2.1.6 is the OpenTX firmware NOT the FrSky EU LBT firmware.

The latest FrSky EU LBT firmware is XJT_LBT_build151223, though there is a later build for Taranis made after Dec 2016.

Edited By Andy48 on 05/08/2017 13:58:55

My bad! Andy48 is correct. I was confused by the new Frsky website, where thei tab "Firmware" goes to "their" old versions of OpenTx. I should have been looking under "XJT Firmware" ... something I had, until now, associated with the XJT module only. In fairness, I did say that 20% of what I wrote was likely to be tosh.

Any room under that stone, Peter? (now where are those wink emojis, when you need one?)

XK50

I think the way info has been thrown at the OP is exactly why newcomers are put off.

IIRC, upgrading OpenTx to 2.2, using Companion on the PC will install bootloader 2.2 so that's the majority of the job done in one go.
Steps are:-
1) Download and install companion 2.2 on the PC.
2) Set up companion with the appropriate Tx type and select other options in companion. (It's important to do this before the next step).
3) Download the Tx firmware in Companion.
4) Get Tx and PC talking to each other. Often this just works but sometimes it's the hardest step.
5) Use companion to write the firmware to the Tx.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 05/08/2017 15:27:59

Posted by Martian on 05/08/2017 15:21:45:

Aaaaaaaargh why did I get a Taranis ,much more study is needed and book/manual perusing let me see oh yes that's it I like headaches

Congratulations Martian; you've hit the wall. Beyond it lies Taranis /open source Nirvana!

The flexibility in programming ot the Taranis is second to none as is the reliability of the RF link. THAT's why you got a Taranis, remember? wink 2